Existing Member?

Vagabonding Adventures

Cambodia.....hmmmm

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 12 July 2007 | Views [547] | Comments [4]

well it's been a VERY mixed couple of days.  after a terrible bus ride and more chaos than i saw in china, i arrived in siem reap.  oh, by the way, there werent enough seats on the bus so i made the 8 hour trip on a plastic chair in the middle of the aisle.... not too comfortable.  so the bus company also has a guesthouse, no surprise, and thats where they took us.  i left today because they just keep trying to pry every penny they can out of us.  actually, thats been my experience with almost all cambodians.  and its not like in thailand or china... its worse, way worse.  to hang out with them is ok.... they are like most other asians, but get money involved at all..... oh my gosh!!!  i think their poverty has made them this way... and its not just 50 cents or some small amount.  i wouldn't worry about that.  but its 10 dollars sometimes.  thats a lot of money, especially here.  it really is taxing.  you have to be on guard in a different way ALL THE TIME.  i am exhausted by it. 

on the brighter side.... the temples at angkor.... A M A Z I N G ! ! ! !  they are so much more than i ever expected.  the detail put into these things is awesome.  i cant imagine how they looked in their glory.  i could leave tomorrow and think the visit to cambodia well worth it.... and i might.  but i'll probably stick it out a little longer to see if it gets better.  anyway, i'm beat.

later

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

Son, it was so good to talk with you today. I hope Cambodia gets better for you. If you get a chance and can put some of the temple pics up that would be great. I would really like to see them. I Love you soooooo much.
Take care.

  Mom Jul 13, 2007 2:02 AM

2

I just wanted you to know I am reading this and the trip sounds so amazing so far!!! Thank you for my text message of the dog. I hope you got the one of Scarlett. She insisted I send it.

Thinking of you!

Elizabeth

  Elizabeth Jul 16, 2007 7:31 AM

3

It's great to hear from you, but I hope the money complications clear up. I'm glad you've seen Natalie and will hook up again later! The temples sound incredible, and I can't wait to hear all the wonderful things you did see! We miss you and look for to seeing you when you get back to Big D! Love and prayers to you and Natalie!!

  Kathy & Mark Jul 16, 2007 12:09 PM

4

Dude, I know exactly what you mean about the temples...I mean, there was this spider web outside the house the other day, and it was really, really big, and...oh, never mind. Glad you're ok...
Tim

  Tim Jul 17, 2007 12:05 AM

About ace


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.