Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad International Programs A Broader View is a 501 non-profit international volunteer organization offering short and long term volunteer programs in developing countries around the World. Our volunteer abroad projects are available year round in Central America, South America.

Volunteer Abroad in Uganda Africa Kampala, Katebo, Jinja, Kasese

UGANDA | Tuesday, 1 July 2008 | Views [2238] | Comments [1]

Volunteer Abroad in Uganda: Kampala, Kasese, Jinja, Katebo Village. Volunteering Opportunities

Volunteering Abroad in Uganda: The land of Lake Victoria, is situated in East Africa surrounded by Kenya, Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania and Rwanda. It has a population of 27 million, over half of which are under 18 years of age. Famously called the "Pearl of Africa" by Winston Churchill, it is home to one of the most diverse and concentrated ranges of African fauna including the highly endangered mountain gorilla and the chimpanzee.

uganda

Unlike its neighbors; Kenya and Tanzania with their built up tourist infrastructure, Uganda is still growing meaning visitors can experience "real" Africa. There are bustling open markets, lush subsistence farming, charming rural villages and a multitude of National Parks. Today, Uganda has one of the highest orphan rates in the world, mainly due to the terrible HIV epidemic that has engulfed Africa.

There are over 2 million children living with this disease, most of whom are under 15 years old.

The poverty experienced in this area is not just a lack of money but also the inability to access basic needs, such as health care and health facilities, voluntary HIV counseling and testing, as well as basic affordable education for the children.

Volunteering in Uganda is a way to totally immerse yourself in East African culture.

This is a great opportunity to make life-long friends, learn a new culture from the inside out and discover that one person really can make a difference. 

Location pages:

Tags: africa, jinja, kampala, kasese, katebo village, orphans, uganda, volunteer

 

Comments

1

how long are we aloud to volunteer, i was looking for as long as possible .

  seth Dec 8, 2009 1:03 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.