Existing Member?

The Country Mouse

7th September. Day 6

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [230]

After the worst nights sleep thanks to the group outside my room shouting until 4am I woke up at 9 and got ready for a day of walking around Georgetown looking at the sights. Breakfast was at my favourite café Wheelers coffee which sells great bagles with an iced coffee and I was good to go! 

The street art was pretty difficult to find sometimes as they were hidden around corners or street sellers had covered them with their wares. It was great to see people interact with the art, some had props and part of its design, allowing people to touch and play around taking selfies. In the end I managed to find about half of them and had a good walk along the dock which greeted me with a (very needed) cool breeze off the sea. I too tootered around some of the shops selling quirky little gifts of postcards, magnets and handmade books.

It took me about two hours to follow the art work on it's windy path and as the day got on I was gasping for some air conditioning and a cold drink. Luckily, I stumbled upon a restaurant/bakery called Black Kettle. It was very modern, airy and smart, I felt a little out of place with my denim shorts and strappy top but I was too hot and bothered to really care that much. I ordered a chicken sandwich sat back and read my book.

As my funds were getting a bit low I needed to get to a bank so I set off in search. It led me to Fort Cornwallis, I paid 20 to get in but wish I hadn't. It wasn't particularly interesting or informative. Back on the road then which again led me next to the waters edge and another cool breeze cutting through the humidity of the city. After an hour I finally reached the bank I wanted and made my way back to Love Lane. On the way I passed a wierd burning ritual, they looked like brightly coloured totem poles and were slowly smouldering away. The heat it gave off was stifling on what was already a warm day. 

Back at the hostel I showered and then met two girls from London travelling together. We went to the food court for dinner then had a few beers and played cards until it was time for bed. 

Tags: black kettle, georgetown, street art, wheelers coffee

About abbehorrod


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.