Existing Member?

The Country Mouse

2nd September. Day 1

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 2 September 2015 | Views [293]

5:30am my alarm rang to begin this little trip of mine. A few grumbles from Helen and fumbles of final packing done I said goodbye to my best buddy and set off.  

Saigon airport was chocker-block full of holidaymakers in their best outfits (I mean who in their right mind wears stilettoes and a mini skirt to travel in?). The flight was delayed for 30 minutes but I didn't mind, it meant I could persue one of my favourite hobbies, people watching. The flight was pretty quick and smooth but when i landed the weather was not misty or foggy but very translucent which made it very humid. 

The next next stage of my journey was to get my bus to Ipoh (the largest town in the highlands area) and after a quick stop in a Western style Boots I managed to get myself completely confused and lost. As I has already done a few laps of the arrivals hall I had to ask (a very helpful) guy who pointed the way as the one I had just come from (of course!). 

During my 30 minute wait for the bus to arrive I sat feeling a little overwhelmed. it looked like a whole new planet, everything functione, was organised and people (except myself) seemed to conform to....well....form. The set rules. To put it all short, I was lost in organisation. 

The bus journey was surprisingly comfortable with lots of leg room, a German guy was the only other Westerner on it and he came in pretty handy to make the connected bus into the middle of Ipoh. On our way in he told me a bit about his travels and why he loves Ipoh so much. I instantly regretted not staying another night. 

Or not, the taxi driver took me a completely different way than I expected, parked up and said I had arrived. I knew for a fact I wasn't and told him to take me back to the bus station. Luckily we passes my hostel on the way, I ordered him to stop jumped out and handed over the agreed money. Even though he had driven me a good way around the town. 

The hosel is basic but it has everything you need. Clean and airy. It's nice and quiet so should get a good nights sleep. 

There is only 2 other travellers staying. An extremely chatty Indonesian guy and a cute Chinese girl. We managed to find some cheap street food (post trek around the town) that was quite nice. The town itself was pleasant to walk around during the evening but I definitely wouldn't sacrifice a day in the Cameron Highlands to stay another night here.

Tags: ipoh

About abbehorrod


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.