Existing Member?

A&Jadventures

Bangkok

THAILAND | Saturday, 9 November 2013 | Views [564] | Comments [5]

Sooo time to tell you guys about Bangkok! After a short flight we arrived at Bangkok airport it's huge !! We got a taxi with mr pud... To our hostel.. It's nice pretty central and convenient. The hostel is really upbeat and everyone is really nice, very different to hostel in KL. Some Canadians and Aussies took us to our first night in the RCA district to a club called Route 66..it was fun but different to night life in UK! You pay 300baht to get in but get the money back in tokens to spend on booze..

The following day we were making our way with two of the Aussie girls we met to the pier to get the ferry to wat pho... Clearly looking lost and confused (Bangkok is so much bigger than KL) A Thai man helped us into a tuk tuk confirmed a cheap price, and showed us to the cheaper pier so we wouldn't pay full price at the main one. When we got there the man running it wanted 1500 baht for the trip all the way round the river stopping at the floating market and then to the temples (you have to haggle so much here so we got in down to 650!) it was really interesting to see all the wooden and Tin shacks on the river in amongst some huge mansions.."ley" he was the driver of the long boat was hilarious he spoke little English and insisted on shouting "HAPPY NEW YEAR" constantly.. He let us have a go at driving the boat!! He took us a small floating market (woman on little canoes selling souvenirs) they paddle up to your boat and pull back the cover to show you all the things on sale. From there we went all the way to wat pho.. It's incredible we have never seen anything like it. The architecture is outstanding ... It took a long time to see it all and by the time we left the royal palace had closed :(


That night we went to get some street food and had an incredible Thai curry cooked on a little cart on the side of the road... The flavours were amazing!! And SO cheap.. 190baht for two of us and beer!! So later that night we headed to pat pong night market (red light district) with loads of people from our hostel.. It was strange to see prostitutes approaching every male from all angles.. And with the offer of the famous "ping pong shows" (we won't go into detail!!) we will leave that to your imaginations. Lots of stalls and bars selling cheap clothes and booze.!! We stayed there for a little while and then decided to leave and head up to Khao San road..:backpackers haven!! To explore the nightlife. It was crazy,  busy and full of Europeans!! Music was insanely loud lots of lady boys and gay men dancing in the streets. We found a food cart selling crickets, scorpions, grasshoppers etc,  everyone wanted to try something... First up.. Ashleigh tries cricket...tried and failed we should say. After Jenna insisting it tastes of nut It was spat out..unfortunatly for Jenna this was all over her face! Round two Jenna tries grasshopper... very chewy half out of the mouth nearly impossible to bite it tastes like pork scratchings...

Following morning (heads heavy) we crawled to the royal palace and had a look round it's amazing!! So beautiful....after this we headed for the weekend market at mo chit via the sky rail. Stopping off at the main station on the way to get out over night sleeper train tickets (yay!) to vientianne in Laos..The weekend market was massive.. Something you really need all day to do. we were there until early evening lots to see :) there were lots of blind and disabled children almost put on show to sing and make money by their parents... Quite shocking to see.... We treated ourselves and bought the traditional baggy pants (of course Jared!!) for those who don't know almost every backpacker walks around in these Aladdin style trousers!! These were incredibly cheap 150baht... You can't complain really!! It's rained every day since we've been here off and on but it's very humid and around 28-33c... The rain never lasts for long.

Tonight were not doing much as we have a big journey tomorrow... All in all we have loved bangkok (minus the insect bites and Ice cold aircon at night) it's really a great place to go and were glad to of had the experience... Especially the tuk tuk driving !!! These guys are crazy.. Anyway. Next stop vientianne. We've been told that there's not much to do here however we will still see this for ourselves. We may head to vang vieng earlier than planned. It's been great to meet so many people, everyone has a story to tell, and can advise us on the best places to go alongside some of the worst.

We will update you again after loas. As always much love to you all back home...

Ps we have been informed about the weather hitting Vietnam and Laos are keeping close eye on this..We hear that it has lessened in intensity but intend to check this tomorrow morning. We don't leave until 8pm. If we need to change plans to ensure our own safety we will. Don't worry mums/dads!!

Lots of love xxxxxxxxxx

Comments

1

Hi Cricket & Grasshopper sounds like you having a great time :) made me laugh from what you have said, and I am sure you would have liked a little longer to explore Bangkok more !
Its amazing sometimes how we see the other side of living comparing to our own, but such a rich experience to learn about different cultures as well.

  Pete Wise Nov 10, 2013 9:21 AM

2

Hey Ladies,
Almost one week in and it sounds like you are having an incredible time, hope you've taken lots of photos. Jenna my lovely you do make me smile...........crickets and grasshoppers, were they alive!?
Nanny and Grandad are with me at the moment so I've read your latest post obviously excluding a few bits :) they say hello and Grandad says he loves you to bits and can you come home soon awwwwwwwwwwww!
Stay safe, lots of love Lou x

  Louise Radbourne Nov 11, 2013 3:13 AM

3

Helloooo :)
Sounds like your both having an amazing time, the things you've been doing sound decent like the boat trip on the river and i'm very impressed you've been eating bugs hahaa, I had difficulty getting through earlier on my phone don't know why it was playing up but will try and sort it out and my battery died but i'm looking forward to hearing from you and the next step of your adventures, speak to you as soon as possible stay safe,
Love you loads,
Harry xxxxx

  Harry Paxton Nov 13, 2013 7:08 AM

4

We are flying back into thailand to do abit more before we fly to oz on the 23rd of dec.... you should be proud dad, ive been trying lots of differnt foods ( some good, some bad) but its all trial and error. Miss you pops xxx

No looby, they was roasted on a bbq ha - don't think i could have attem,pted it if they had been wriggling- I'm really enjoying it and loving travelling! We are already missing some home comforts, but food in asia has been great. I'm greatly missing the cabbage smelling grandparents :( ha tell granddad i will be home before he knows it..... i will have to arrange to skype them soon, will be a giggle. Love you xxxxxxx

  Jen Nov 17, 2013 3:10 AM

5

Glad your both having a wicked time! It's really nice to read your posts :)
Let us know when you sort out a skype address.
Lots of love......katie,Jonathan ,Jacob and holly!!!!! X

  Katie and Jonathan Nov 17, 2013 4:06 AM

About aandjadventures


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.