Existing Member?

Anna's Amazing Adventures

A city on lockdown

USA | Monday, 15 December 2014 | Views [511]

One choice, one decision, that's all it takes.

 
My choice? To do my blue mountains tour today instead of yesterday. Why is this one decision, that I made months ago so monumental? Because yesterday, twice I walked past Martin's place, and had I not been running late for kayaking, I had fully intended to stop for coffee. Not saying that I would have stopped at that specific shop, but I passed it and it would have been an option. Those were people getting their morning coffee and it easily could have been me. But I was running late, and I chose to do my tour today, and it made a huge difference. Luckily, I was out in Western Sydney when everything happened and the news broke out. We had it on the radio to see what was going on and how it impacted us. It really didn't hit me until I got off the ferry and what was a busy street yesterday was a ghost town today. It was eery. You spend your life nowadays hearing about all these terrible things that happen in the world. Having it happen a few kilometers from where your staying, and at a place you passed while you wandered the city, that's totally different. That's too close for comfort. And it's still happening right now as I type, and I have no clue if it's an isolated incident and if everyone's okay. I fly out tomorrow and I excited and nervous. I want to get away from this, but what if this person isn't acting alone? What if they have something else planned? Now I get to play the 'what if' game, which is not something you expect to do on your vacation. I have faith in the Australian government and police force will do their job, and I hope this is resolved swiftly and peacefully. Until then I can only hope something like this doesn't happen again and to continue to aware of my surroundings. 

About aamato20

Volunteering at Lollapalooza in Chicago, IL

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.