Existing Member?

The Long & Winding Road

Hoi An

VIETNAM | Thursday, 22 January 2009 | Views [661]

So after our 5 days of shananagians in Nha Trang, we decided to move on.  We spent one last day at the beach on Monday because our bus to Hoi An was not leaving until 6:30pm.  When we showed up for the bus they told us our sleeper bus was stuck in another town but we could take a normal bus for $1 less.  Our ride was a 12 hour journey so opted for the refund and scrambled to find a sleeper bus out of town.  We caught one at 7pm and embarked on one of the longest, scariest bus rides of my life.  The horn rules the road in Vietnam and let me tell you, this bus driver had the loudest one yet!  Every single motorbike he passed, he would honk at them, along with overtaking transport trucks in the dark on a curvy mountain road with the South China Sea looming beneath us to the right.  My sleeper bus compartment was built for Asians as well so I think I maybe slept for 1 hour max the whole way due to the horn and the fact that I couldn't really lie down because I was too big.  Thank the lord for my video ipod to keep me laughing and sane.  We checked in at Phouc An hotel in Hoi An when we finally arrived and it is probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in this entire trip.  We have comfy beds, A/C, hot water, free internet, bicycles and an awesome free breakfast buffet every morning all for $15 a night between the two of us.  Hoi An has been pretty cool so far.  It's a small town with lots of tailors and nice restaurants.  The old part of town is actually a World Heritage site and is pretty cool.  Yesterday I finally buckled to the heckling tailors I had been avoiding for three months here in Asia and bought a new suit.  I got a jacket, shirt and pants for $150 so it was a pretty good deal.  Turned out really nice as well.  I also grabbed some Chinese lanterns and some more artwork which I will need to send home tomorrow.  Today we checked out the My Son ancient ruins which were part of the Champa Kingdom's holy sites.  Pretty cool but after seeing the temples of Angkor, it didn't really compare to those.  Very cool location though with jungle and mountains all around.  Had a pretty good boat ride back into the old town as well.

Tags: bus drivers are insane in vietnam

About a_hayes11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.