Existing Member?

The Long & Winding Road

The Protesters Win!!!

THAILAND | Tuesday, 2 December 2008 | Views [412]

Today Stuart and I switched over to the Khao San Palace Hotel which had a rooftop pool so it was pretty nice hanging out up there.  We decided to check out the Grand Palace in the afternoon because I didn't get a chance to see it last time I was in Bangkok because of those pesky tuk-tuk drivers.  It was pretty spectacular and I had a really good time checking it out.  Very cool architecture and statues everywhere.  We met a new group of people up on the rooftop in the evening and all went to check out a band play.  Ended up meeting back up with Sarah and CJ who were staying in a 5 star resort paid for by the Thai government because they were stranded in Bangkok due to the airport closures.  They had managed to secure a flight out of a military base south of Bangkok so they'll be flying to Korea tomorrow.  And I guess the Prime Minister stepped down today so the airports should start to return to normal soon.  Those protesters always get what they want in Thailand.  I heard the airport might open in 7 days so I'm not really sure whether my friend Matt from home will be able to fly in on the 5th.  I guess I'll just wait and see.  The highlight of the night was definitely singing Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of my lungs with everyone else in the bar.  The band was amazing!  Some other hilarious moments of the night were when a Finnish girl named Jenna who was hanging out with us came back to the table from booking a trip or something.  She sat down but proceeded to fall backwars off the level our table and chairs were on.  She crashed into the table behind us which was a foot lower and totally spilt all their drinks.  Simon from England tried to save her but ended up going down hard too!  It was freaking hilarious!  At the end of the night, on the walk back to the hotel, Stuart and I saw a ladyboy bitchslap this western guy!  So funny!  They were about to go at it but it simmered down to just a really funny arguement that we decided to watch.  Priceless!

Tags: down with the government

About a_hayes11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.