Existing Member?

The Long & Winding Road

Muay Thai boxing and ruins in Ayutthaya

THAILAND | Friday, 24 October 2008 | Views [362] | Comments [1]

So Will, a girl from Vancouver named Sherri and I went to Muay Thai boxing match last night.  We paid like 30 bucks for a ticket and got to see about 5 matches.  The first 2 were really good but the bthe last 3 were 14 year old kids and they didnt really impress me that much.  After that we took a cab to the Rock Pub and saw a really cool rock band that played Maiden, Deep Purple etc.  It was Sherri's birthday so we bought her a couple drinks and when the band was done we called it a night.  I still can'y believe how cheap this country is!  Our cab ride home was like a 20 min drive and was only 2 bucks!  Today we took a train to Ayutthaya which is an hour north of Bangkok.  We sat in 2nd class A/C because thats what we thought we bought but ended up doing the walk of shame to 3rd class after getting busted by security.  To say the least, it was the most people Ive ever seen in one car of a train and it was like 35 degrees C, dirty and smelly.  Thank god it was only an hour.  Got to out next hotel and rented bikes and rode around town all day checking out ancient ruins.  700 and 600 year ols temples!  It was really cool.  I ordered coconut curry with chicken for lunch.  It was horrible.  It tasted like salty cilantro soup and I hate cilantro so much.  First bad meal so far so I didnt really care.  It was only 2 bucks anyway!  We got lost after lunch and ended up riding our bikes in a parking lot with little Thai kids in a circle as fast as we could while laughing uncontrollably.  Priceless.  We rode through some sketchy parts of town and saw a 3 legged dog, guys riding on the top of dump trucks and babies on motorbikes.  A whole family will ride around on one motorbike!  Dad driving, baby in between his legs, 3 or 4 year old behind dad and mom holding on at the back, all with no helmets!  Asia has no rules on the road, people pass on either side and anything goes.  It is quite the sight to see.  Chilling tonight, going to Lopburi tomorrow then taking the overnight train to Chaing Mai from Lopburi.

Tags: bangkok and ayutthaya

Comments

1

Sounds like you and Will are really in the swing of things now and having lots of fun. It's windy, chilly and raining here now - hard to think of you in such heat in Thailand. Keep on enjoying all your excursions. It's interesting that that girl you met (Sherri) has a friend in Vancouver that Kelly knows. It's a small world!

Love,
Mom

  Katie Hayes Oct 27, 2008 7:10 AM

About a_hayes11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.