Existing Member?

Travelling One Country at a Time

Organising Part 2

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 January 2014 | Views [484]

Organising for a trip. Hmmm. 

 

Passports are the fun part. I was born in 1992 and I have a copy of my birth certificate (original copy) and I also needed a copy of one of my parents birth certificates. I went with my fathers as it has my last name on it; if I was to use my mothers I would need their marriage certificate as her last name is different. So having my original birth certificate and my fathers original certificate and the forms I can grab from Australia Post or online; I also had to take my old passport with me. Pay the money and a photo later; and the passport ia off. Took about 2 weeks and I have a new passport. 

Going to New Zealand I don't need a visa. Thankfully. So I will have to try to organise one of those when I need one. Which will be later on; in a future trip. So I won'to need try to figure it out. 

After securing my passport I went about organising travel insurance. I knew what I would be doing in New Zealand and had to be covered for it. So I went about searching. And searching. And searching. None of the premiums I looked at showed me what sports I would be covered for and then after reading a journal of a world traveller I came across World Nomads and they had what I was looking for. It was perfect and I covered my phone and my tablet; as they will be essential for my travel. I did have the recept for the tablet but I have now spent the last week chasing up a receipt for the phone; thank god for Apple Support. They are mailing it to me. So with the insurance covered and the passport done; I had to organise my connecting flights. 

Qantas as was who we were flying with to Zew Zealand in connection with New Zealand Air. So I went with qantas for my connecting flights from Emerald to Brisbane. The last time I was at the airport; another airline cancelled on a friend and she was late for an appointment by 3-4hrs but I was lucky I went with Qantas and I flew out on time. So I stuck with them. The smaller airport means things change easily. Stick with what you know. I got the flights cheap too as they were on a red eye sale and also got insurance on the flights and luggage. Never know. 

Lastly. I had to have communication. So I looked for a SIM card for New Zealand. International roaming costs a fortune and I am not wanting to pay for it. So I went for a prepaid SIM I would be able to reuse on future trips to New Zealand. I looked at 3 carriers. Vodafone, Telcom and 2degrees. I went with 2degrees and I was able to purchase the SIM card from http://www.newzealandsimcard.com/ and it will be mailed to my home within 5-15days. So before I leave. :)

I already had a suitcase from a previous trip. So I didn't need one but I did need a new luggage tag and padlocks. I made sure I got one for each of my zips and that they we're tamper proof and approved for overseas travel by customs.

Lastly I needed to figure out which would be best for my spending money. Cash, travellers checks or a cash passport. I looked into my bank in Australia and they have a pretty good deal; I am getting a Multi-Currency Cash Passport with them and this; once again I shall be able to use on future travels. 

With this I was happy. I made copies of all my tickets, insurances, cash passport and passport and placed them in a travel wallet with the originals and they other copies I shall keep in my suitcase and with my family in Austarlis. 

So far I am organised. Just need to pack my clothes and that will be an effort and a half. 

Tags: insurance, passport, phones, sim card, travel money

About __vickyvic


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.