Existing Member?

Explore.Dream.Discover 2012

Sunday 4th March - The Taj Mahal....

INDIA | Sunday, 4 March 2012 | Views [359]

Despite the jetlag, I dragged Sophia out of bed at 530am to see the Taj Mahal at sunrise and avoid the big crowds... The lonelyplanet guide told us about seeing it from a little known river bank, and after some wrong turns and a long walk, complaints of acid indigestion, hunger, pain etc. (mainly from Sophia), we found the river that we were looking for. To our left the magnificent Taj appeared, prevously hidden by 20m high walls. Breathtaking!
A little old man with his old, creaky and waterlogged boat was waiting for a customer and here we were. It was the most serene experience seeing the Taj up close. The river was deadly still and covered by a mysterious fog. This all added to the aura of the Taj. It was magnificent.  Oresti was also pleased because not only was this an amazing way to see the Taj, but it was a fraction of the cost of the admission fee which meant we hadn't blown our budget for the day! 
We then went and saw the massive Agra Fort which was a great place for more photo opportunities. 
We ended our great day by jumping on a train and starting our 36 hour non-stop train journey to the beautiful Goa. 

 

About OandSoph


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.