Existing Member?

Big Trip Blog Bigtripblog is a multimedia travel experience capturing the adventures of Kevin and Valerie during their one year trip around the world.

Trekking in the Annapurna

NEPAL | Saturday, 16 December 2006 | Views [2115]

The only major activity planned for the Big Trip was trekking in Nepal. When we arrived in Kathmandu we were immediately approached by someone offering treks, and against all of our normal traveling principles, we ended up taking our trip with them.

For $270 each they arranged bus transportation to Pokhara, one night in a hotel there, and then all 12 days of the trek, and one last night in the same hotel. This included the guide (also carrying most of our stuff), three meals a day, accommodation, entry fees, permits, etc. That’s $22.50 a day, which is pretty good. You can do it cheaper yourself, but now everyone who treks needs to have a guide. We think we got a pretty good deal, and we’d recommend the company. Drop us a line if you would like information about them.

Leaving Kathmandu

Our guide met us at our guesthouse in Kathmandu and rode to Pokhara with us. On the trip Val and I weren’t sure if he understood English very well, and we started to worry. We kind of had lots of questions for him. When we got to Pokhara and made sure we had everything we needed, we realized he did not understand English and so we called the trekking agency and ended up with a new guide. It wasn’t necessarily the outcome we wanted, but it worked out for the best I think.

Day 1 - Pokhara to Hille

Our new guide Rob met us in the morning and we took a taxi to a place called Birethani. From there we started our 12 day trek. We met the Maoists almost immediately. Rob told them we were only going out for 5 days, so they charged us 100 rupees per day each, a total of 1000 rupees ($14). They weren’t rude or anything, and of course they gave us a receipt. To learn more about the Maoist insurgency in Nepal, go here.

We only walked for a few hours before we got to Hille. It was a gentle climb on paths frequented by donkeys, ponies, porters, locals, all kinds of people. The first thing you realize about the trail is that it is not like hiking in the woods. The valley was beautiful - lush and green, with heavily terraced slopes growing millet and potatoes.

The guesthouse in Hille was fairly rustic, with no electricity. Rob told us this would be the only place without it.

Day 2 - Hille to Ghorepani

After the easy first day, the climb to Ghorepani was very difficult. There were 3,200 steps up before lunch, and after that even though the steps were finished it was tough. We arrived in Ghorepani completely exhausted after about six hours of climbing up. It was much colder up there, and the guesthouse had a big fireplace in the dining hall.

Day 3 - Poon Hill and Ghorepani to Sikha

We woke up before 5am to climb to the top of Poon Hill, at 3,210 meters (10,530 feet), and watch the sunrise. The lookout point there has an amazing panoramic view of the Annapurna range. The hike up was tough, especially after the hard climb to Ghorepani the previous day. We didn’t quite make the sunrise, but the view was spectacular nonetheless. About 100 other trekkers were on the hill enjoying the sunrise and taking pictures.

After walking down and then eating a quick breakfast, we set out for the day. Our original plan was to go all the way back down to 1,190 meters (3,904 feet) to Tatopani. Rob thought we wouldn’t make the climb down after such a hard climb up the day before. Going down is harder than going up sometimes, making your knees and toes hurt.

We decided to only go halfway to a place called Sikha. It’s at 1,935 meters (6,350 ft). We had an excellent view of Daulaghiri from our window, the fifth highest mountain in the world.

Day 4 - Sikha to Tatopani

The walk down to Tatopani was relatively easy, and we arrived in the early afternoon. There’s a hot spring in Tatopani that most trekkers enjoy after coming down the way we were going up. It was like an onsen in Japan, very hot and relaxing.

The food in Tatopani is almost like it is in Pokhara, and they even had Mexican food on the menu.

Day 5 - Tatopani to Ghasa

After two short days of walking down, we had a full day of climbing up. We went from 1,190 meters to just below 2,000 (6,560 ft). We had lunch right next to a beautiful waterfall. They were doing road construction there, and every time someone wanted to walk down the trail by the waterfall, someone would whistle and they’d stop throwing huge boulders down by the trail into the river.

Day 6 - Ghasa to Tukuche

We went up another 600 meters to Tukuche. It’s on the edge of high desert plains that are similar to the Tibetan Plateau. The stark landscape with tall mountains in the distance is stunning.

Day 7 - Tukuche to Kagbeni

The walk from Tukuche to Kagbeni only took us up another 200 meters to 2800 (9,280 ft). It was mostly level ground taking us across the windswept plains.

Day 8 - Kagbeni to Kagbeni

This was the day we were supposed to go up to Muktinath, at 3,800 meters (12,450 ft). The thing was we also had to come back down that day. The plan was to go up in the morning (4 hour climb), hang out there for two hours, then come back down (3 hour climb). And then walk 6 hours the next day, and the next, and the next, and the next. We asked Rob what he thought we should do. He said, “How can I tell you?” We asked him if the view was better up there, and he said, “It is same.” We asked him if the Buddhist monastery was better up there, and he said, “But there is monastery in Kagbeni.”

“So should we go to Muktinath or stay in Kagbeni?”

“How can I tell you?”

We stayed in Kagbeni. We visited the monastery and walked around the town. It used to be an important Tibetan trading town. There are lots of small covered alleyways in the old quarter to protect the inhabitants from the stiff wind that blows in the afternoon.

Day 9 - Kagbeni to Larjung

After our rest day in Kagbeni, we turned around and started heading back down. We didn’t push as far as we could have in order to avoid the cold wind that blows in the valley. We appreciated some really nice mountain views on the way down, knowing we wouldn’t have much longer to enjoy them.

Day 10 - Larjung to Dana

The longest day, and hardest since our second day climb up to Ghorepani, was the hike down to Dana. Not only was it long, but the second half was a fairly steep descent. When we went past the sections of trail that were almost out a few days before, they were even worse. At several points there was no trail, just a mound of dirt descending hundreds of feet down to the river below. We had to lean close to the mountain and walk quickly across the loose dirt, always with dozens of Nepalese workers watching.

Day 11 - Dana to Tatopani

We pushed ourselves the day before so that we could have an easy walk down to Tatopani. The first time through the weather had been beautiful and sunny, so we thought we’d have all day by the nice river and hot springs. When we woke up it was raining, so we waited until about noon before setting out. The trail was muddy and slippery, forcing us to walk slowly. When we arrived in Tatopani after about two hours, we warmed up for a while before heading down to the hot springs.

Day 12 - Tatopani to Beni

Rob told us about a way to get to Beni without walking for four hours, so we got a jeep after a two hour hike. The trail was still really muddy and dangerous. The donkey and pony traffic was heavy, and at one point several of them got scared and almost pushed us off the trail into the gorge. A packed four wheel drive took us to Beni in about an hour and a half. Rob even negotiated the front seat for the two of us, making the rough ride a little more comfortable. From Beni the bus to Pokhara took about five hours. It’s amazing that they can even drive a bus on some of those roads. Sometimes it’s best not to watch what’s going on!

In Summation

Our twelve day trek was incredible. Except for having to switch guides at the very beginning, everything went perfectly. Our trek is called the Jomsom Trek, because the main town you pass through is a place called Jomsom. We didn’t make it to Muktinath, mostly because we aren’t in the kind of shape you really should be in to do something like trek in Nepal. If we were only visiting Nepal, we would have been training for our trek months in advance, getting in shape, walking a lot, breaking in our hiking boots. Instead we’ve been on the road for three months, where it’s hard to get real exercise. We had to buy new boots in Kathmandu, and we both ended up with bad blisters around day 8.

If you are at all interested in visiting Nepal and taking a long walk through the Himalayas, I’d highly recommend it. Nepal is a cheap country, and if you take care of everything here, you are looking at around $25 a day for trekking with a guide. Many people we saw were doing the Annapurna Circuit. It takes about three weeks, and takes you over the largest pass in the world, the Thorang La. We knew we weren’t in good enough shape to attempt it this time through, so we went with the shorter, lower altitude Jomsom trip.

We did, however, go hiking in the deepest valley in the world. And we saw lots of amazing things. The fifth highest mountain in the world was in view for several days. The treks in the Annapurna region are all culturally interesting because you walk along very old roads in use by the locals for a very long time. We met other trekkers from around the world, some really nice Nepali people, and had a very memorable time. We’re already planning our next trek…

Tags: Mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.