Existing Member?

heelspur travels

Rome

ITALY | Friday, 6 June 2008 | Views [422]

We finally said goodbye to our little car in Orvieto (after Marcelle's frenetic ssss steam clean)and headed for Rome by train Italy and our stay at Il Rosario. But not without a 2.5 hour train delay! ah well that's Italy. Very frustrating, but Cheryl kept us all calm. We were pleased with the very pleasant and comnfortable environment at the convent, although Marcelle has never slept in a bed quite that hard!! Must be reserved for sinners only. Cheryl and Val enjoyed their stay at Il Rosario. We heard from Nola who is travelling in northern Germany at present, and everything was well at her end. She has visited her forebears' town of Izahoe (north of Germany)and had spent a long pleasant day in a lunch garden the last we heard from her.

A long walk takes us from Casa del Borgia through Piazzo del Poppolo where there are crowds (abuzz with the news of movie filming) being herded by the caribineri to clear the way.  Roads are closed, sirens wail and we spot Tom Hanks leaping from a car and followed by others running up steps. We move onto via del corso to high tea at Hotel Rousia (Julie Roberts there last week, Sri Lankan embassy this week then check out designer label shops (purses cloes).

We go by Trevi Fountain (coin tossed), Spanish steps, The Pantheon and Travaste Jewish quarter and back to our monastic retreat via Venezuela square-awewsome

We spent all of the Thursday in the Vatican museum, a real eye opener! It was the most impressive of any gallery or palace we have ever seen. So much to look at, we could not see it all in one day.

Shopping and Roman "ruins" today, our final day and now the final hour - I am entering stories on this blog! The main problem was the slow speed of many of the computers and the need to downsize the photos before publishing on the blog. Not to say that the keyboards were quite different, so forgive the many typo errors!

We are glad to see the end of our last train for a while, and our last transport/ticket scam!! That was 4 in all.  Never mind just keep that sense of humour gals, and priorities straight we still have our passports, credit cards and return flight home.

You have only seen Marcelle' photos (in the main) because the others have had some problems with their camera technology! However, they have some beautful stories and photos to tell you at home.

By for now, off home (via an overnight sleep in Dubai) Home early Sunday Perth.  Well now that's a slight exaggeration, it was 4 hours sleep. Not to worry, we were pacified by the chauffered merc ride back to the airportand were fortunate to have a 4bank of seats to stretch out and nap on the 11 hour sojourn back to Perth.

Bravo and Grazie Marrrrrcelle you prime moved the adventure and us!!

arriverderci Val, Nola and Cheryl

3ofusleft

xx

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.