Existing Member?

Cheap & Easy Travels

“Athens Walking Tour” 10 June 11

GREECE | Friday, 10 June 2011 | Views [313]

Greatest Hits of the day Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier - Shopping for the “Evil Eye Stone” amulet - Plaka - cute neighborhood, restaurants and a very old churches & ruins - Sunset on the Acropolis.

Pompoms and Circumstance – It only happens once an hour and we hit it spot on, by accident. The changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Syntagma Square in front of the Greek Parliament Building should be on your list of things to see in Athens. The guards wear tan pleated kilts, white tights and very impressive pompoms on the toes of their shoes. They look silly to modern westerners like us… but are part of an elite infantry unit called evzone. Their high-stepping march is carefully choreographed and timed. Have a look at our pictures.

If Looks Could Kill – Folks around the Mediterranean believe a malevolent look from certain people can cause bad luck. If you want to know more, look up “Nazar” in Wikipedia. We just found the hand blown glass “lucky eye” pieces used to ward off evil, completely irresistible. They look like water drops within water drops, with dark blue first then white, light blue and dark blue respectively. Besides, you can never be sure…

Hillside Plaka Village area – The Plaka is by far one of the coolest places to wander around in. You will meet locals sitting on their porches mixed in with terraced Taverna-style restaurants. The cobbled streets are often lined with marble curbs. Marble must be cheap as dirt because it is everywhere in Athens. A few Greek Orthodox churches, many centuries old, pop up here and there as do Doric and Ionic columns that once held up stately buildings predating Christ by 500 years. The Plaka is littered with antiquity. Athens makes us feel like we have no history in the USA.

Tags: athens, greece, plaka

About 3d_media

Us looking cool in bow ties.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.