Existing Member?

Cheap & Easy Travels

First Legs: 07 & 08 June 2011

USA | Tuesday, 7 June 2011 | Views [195]

 

Greatest Hits of the first day:

  • Trainin’ to SFO is cheap and easy – no, really.
  • SWISS upgraded us to Business at a 75% or more discount. Wow, what a difference.
  • Priority Pass is the ticket for layover luxury at no extra cost.

            TRAIN’IN - I highly recommend anyone living in the Sacramento area that needs to fly out of SFO to try the Amtrak / BART route to the International Wing of SFO. OK, it took about 3 hours and one could argue that it takes an hour and a half by car. I agree. Now, add in gas, parking fees, hauling your stuff from the garage to the terminal and the stress of traffic snarls possibly killing your flight plans. Oh, the cost was $29 each and we have left over money on our BART card for the ride home. Tip: you can purchase a $10 BART card for eight bucks on the train. I haven’t even gotten to the fun part: the train pulls into the departure terminal for International flights. We actually had to walk 200 feet with our 4-wheel-drive luggage to check in. (You gotta have the spinners! – travel made easy, what took them so long?) One more thing, you can drink on the train, “just sayin.”

            FLYING UPPER CLASS - As soon as we rolled up to SWISS (not called Swiss Air anymore), a lovely lady offered us an upgrade to Business Class for our 11+ hour flight to Zurich. It was pricey for us working folks, but at $600 each, about a 75% discount, we got to enjoy fine dining, with linen no less, and a fully reclining seat. Did I say FULLY? Think: “lower than a Lazy Boy” with a pillow, blanket and remote control in hand. Just like at home, except you are sharing the room with 30+ people. One guy really should have brought his C-PAP, major snores. NO worries, they gave us a nice little flight kit with earplugs, eye shields, booties and a tooth brush. SWEET DREAMS. :)

            FREE VIP - Ever heard of VIP lounges at the airport? I knew they existed, but never realized they were accessible by mere mortals as Pat and I. With our Accolades American Express card from Bank of America we were able to enroll for a free Priority Pass subscription for VIP lounges in all major airports. If you like free nibbles, free drinks, comfortable chairs and Internet access, this subscription is for you. There’s no better way to spend five lingering hours at an airport waiting for your connecting flight.

            The rest of the day was just boring stuff like a connecting flight and a taxi ride into town at 2:00 am in the morning. That’s OK though, turns out this town just gets started at 11:00 pm. Entire families, kids included are eating dinner after 10:00 pm.

 

 

 

Tags: sacramento to sfo, vip lounges

 

About 3d_media

Us looking cool in bow ties.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.