Existing Member?

Diary of a traveling Student Nurse I am going for 2 months to Nepal to volunteer as a Student Nurse!! :)

Kathmandu Dubar Square

CANADA | Sunday, 1 November 2015 | Views [337]

Today was really slow passed. I sleep in because I was not feeling very well.I need to be at my 100% for when I start at my work as a Nurse, and sleeping helps the recovery. I woke up to have Nepali style banana pancake for breakfast. The other volunteers where long gone , so I decided to walk to a Neplali landmark located near the hotel. I headed down to the Kathmandu Dubar Square which was only 22 min away. In my way two individuals approached me. They wore turbans around their heads, orange clothing and a necklace of yellow flowers around their necks. They started pouring blessings over me, placed a red dot on my forehead for good luck and asked me for a 10 dollar donation. I did not have 10 dollars with me , but they kept insisting. I gave them what I could and walked away. The square has many temples and it was where the kings prayed and celebrated the festivities of the city. Still today, a lot of people go to pray there. Unfortunately many temples where destroyed by the earthquake. My guide told me that one of the buildings "The Kasthamandap", had killed many people when it felt down. I also saw a monkey at the "Taleju Temple". I ran out of excitement. When I got closer I saw that the monkey was missing one hand. The guide told me that happened normally when the monkeys jumped in the electricity lines. :(. Poor monkey :(. The monkey was beautiful regardless. I headed back to the hotel before it was too dark. Then, I ate more Nepali food with tons of hot mint lemon tea ( hope it helps with the flu).

About 2015-10-20


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.