Existing Member?

Postcards The incredible adventures of Madame Putrid and Rotten

No pain, no gain

ECUADOR | Saturday, 21 March 2009 | Views [559] | Comments [1]

After a few hours on the bus from Cuenca we reach Cajas National Park, and set out on a 5 hour hike.  2 hours into the hike it starts to hail and pour down with rain.  There were plenty of gorgeous lakes and cacti but there was very little in the way of shelter. We are not really prepared for this so we arrive back at the rangers station a few hours later dripping wet. The sun is going down and we have organised to sleep over at the rangers station that night in below 0 degree temperatures.  I am also already sick with a cold.  Still, as you will see from the photos, no pain no gain, the national park was gorgeous!  The ranger managed to get together some wood and we made a fire to dry out our clothes enough before bed.  I managed to set my hiking boots on fire in the process and burn big holes in one of them, oops.  After dark it was just Dave, Myself and the Ranger out in the middle of nowhere playing a game of cards.  We taught him to play Cheat (mentiroso) and he was definitely the worst liar I have ever come across in my life.  Bless his heart.  He gave us a few blankets and we survived until the morning but being sick I was happy to head back to Cuenca whilst Dave went on another 7 hour trek. 

The next day we left Cuenca for Banos.  We departed at midday and were supposed to arrive in Banos at approximately 7pm that night.  At about 5pm the bus stopped on the side of a road up the top of a mountain.  They locked all the passangers in the back and drew the curtains and refused to let us out despite the fact that i was banging on the door yelling "Necessito ir afuera, hace calor!".  At this point no one was informed of what was going on.  I was really worried about our luggage as they had opened the luggage compartment.  Dave jumped out the window of the bus and started arguing with the 3 staff members about it and then the bus started up again.  10 minutes later the bus stopped again.  This time it was clear that we had broken down.  This became especially clear when the drivers, still not informing anyone of what is going on, go to sleep at the back of the bus. It is dark, they have not turned the hazard lights on, there are no street lights and we are sitting half way on the road whilst massive trucks fly around the corner and quickly veer around us last minute.  We decide waiting away from the bus is a safer option so we all pile out and stand up the road.  Two little boys keep us entertained through process of interrogation for a few hours but eventually it gets so cold everyone has to go back into the bus which is not quite as freezing.  At midnight help arrives and at 1am we finally arrive in a town called Riobamba and find a hostel with a hot shower.  I am still sick at this point and this shower is the greatest shower of my life.  Ahhhh. 

The next day we head to Banos which is where I am now.  After a few days in bed I am feeling much better so today we hit the thermal baths and we have a kitchen at the hostel so I have been cooking healthy food, yes mum with plenty of fresh garlic, you can imagine i smell amazing.  We have breakfast on the terrace surrounded by views of mountains with cascading waterfalls and low lying clouds.  Fresh bread, muffins, home made jams, cheeses, eggs, freshly blended rasberry juice and tea, all for 3 dollars. 

Tomorrow a friend from my Galapagos trip is coming to visit and I will stay here just over a week to do some Spanish lessons before heading back to Quito and then onwards to Argentina (where my mum will be meeting me as she spontaneously decided to do today, very random).  I am getting really lazy with these journal entries and uploading photos.  What a lot of effort!  I will just have to show most of you when I get home if you care to see.  Hasta Luego xo

Comments

1

Hi dude,
you are having some adventure over there... am jealous love the new pics too. Make sure you take care of yourself and keep yourself warm enough. Your mum is probably coming over to have a grand adventure with you. :) Well nothing has changed here the kids are doing fine, i am officially doing my two days at wynnum clinic starting in May so thats nice. The clinic hours have changed to finish at 4pm yeah. Though i lose two hours pay. We went camping on the weekend had a good time saw some kangaroos which the kids where impressed with. Well take it easy and stay safe.
love becky

  Becky Strauss Mar 29, 2009 9:03 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.