Existing Member?

Postcards The incredible adventures of Madame Putrid and Rotten

Volcan Cotopaxi

ECUADOR | Monday, 2 March 2009 | Views [694]

On the 23rd Feb I arrived back in Quito from the Galapagos and within 20 minutes was in in a pick up truck taxi 4WDing through the darkness on my way to Cotopaxi Reserve, 2 hrs south of Quito.  I arrived at 8pm and was met by 2 dalmations, 2 sausage dogs and a warm fireplace surrounded by friendly guests.  In the morning I was blown away by the view of Cotopaxi Volcano * see picture to be uploaded, at 5897m, Ruminahui to the right and fields of grazing cows and horses and interweaving streams set below.  Dave showed me around the reserve where I met some pigs, chickens, guinea pigs and rabbits (all for eating).  A group of us climbed to the Cotopaxi refuge at 4800m and then further to where the snow commences, to throw snow balls and slide down the volcano on our bums.  Perhaps not the greatest idea when your clothes are wet, you are standing amongst the clouds and you still have to treck back downhill again. 

I started to voluteer a little at the hostel which meant free food, accomodation and tours whilst I was there.  On day 2 I joined some guys on a mountain biking venture up and then down Ruminahui.  Only my back breaks worked a bit so I skidded most of the way back down to the gate and then watched the guys stack it all hte way back to the hostel from the safety of the 4WD.  The next day a guy went on the same bike tour and ended up in hospital having plastic surgery on his nose and stitches in 4 different areas of his face.  Poor sausage.  It was quite the drama for the day at the hostel as we all fussed over him. 

The hostel had no electricity so the past few days have been spent eating, serving food, building the fire, lighting candles, playing cards/drinking games with other travellers and amusing the dogs.  Pretty simple living for a while.  Muy tranquillo. 

Back in Quito again now, obviously.  Am going to head to the coast for a while, as of tomorrow.  xo Besos

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.