Existing Member?

Berglunds Go South

CA coast

USA | Thursday, 20 July 2017 | Views [564]

Thursday, July 13

We drove 100 N on the coast and it took ALL DAY! we stopped several times at beaches and overloooks to enjoy the scerery and get a break from the crazy, winding roads- up, down, around and around...We almost hit a deer and got dive bombed by a peacock. So many beautiful overlooks, amazing rocks right on the coast. We stopped at Ft. Bragg for fresh seafood- Fish and Chips at the Marina and then went to the infamous Glass Beach. We stopped to camp at McKerricher State Park and once again, got the last campsite available. What? 3 nights in a row- we got the very last spot. We rode our bikes along the coast and watched an amazing sunset at Laguna Point. We hung out there for awhile watching harbour seals and a gray whale in the bay. 

Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15

We drove Hwy 1 N to the Kings Range ranger office. We picked up a backcountry pass and a bear can for a one night overnight on the Lost Coast- the last 25 mile strech of undeveloped CA coast. We started hiking at 4:15pm from Shelter Cove/Black Sand Beach and hiked along the beach for about 4 miles. We pitched our tent right at the 'unpassable at high tide' point. We found a nice camping spot near some water and listening to the crashing waves all night. We found a lot of teeny tiny crab shells, lots of large crab claws and the largest chiton shells we've ever seen. The pounding surf was mesmorizing. The next morning, we found live sea stars and saw only a few other backpackers. It was a great night and Stephanie wished we had time to do the whole trip (25 miles). We hiked out on Saturday which was much easier with the packed sand and lower tide line. We drove to Eureka and through the Avenue of the Giants. Beautiful, BIG trees! We spent the night at the Holiday Inn- a nice night. It was the cleanest, nicest room yet. We did laundry and drove to Samoa for fish and chips at the marina. Sven and Svea had shrimp. 

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.