Existing Member?

J&K adventures

Scuba-ing in Utila

HONDURAS | Thursday, 4 September 2008 | Views [385] | Comments [1]

Utila has been a great break from all the fast-paced moving around we've been doing up to now, after about a week here, there are two things that seem like universal truths about this island:

1.  Everyone here taught english in Korea at some point

2.  If you can't get out in a week or so,you become a scuba     instructor/bartender(both)

But it's easy to see why, it's fun, with a good flow of travellers from all over the world, the weather is great, and the beers are cheap.  If Kim hadn't managed  to get over a dozen bug bites on one hand, she wouldn't have anything bad to say at all.  It's a bit small for me, but diving and hanging out here have been the best seven dayswe've had on the trip.

Oh, yeah, while diving, the captain was able to spot dolphins one day and we jumped in with them and watched them frolic around for about 10 minutes.  The next day we got to see a true rarity that Utila is known for...the whale shark. We jumped in expecting to see it from a distance, like the dolphins. WRONG!  It was at least 30 feet long and right there, about 20 feet away.  A bit of a shock at first, but awe-inspiring for sure.  The big guy (or girl) didn't stick around for long, just swan down out of sight after a minute or so.  We jumped in with two more of these that day, but none so close as that.

Comments

1

sounds like a lot of fun. When Kim gets back to work she will be swimming with sharks all day!!!!!

  dad Sep 6, 2008 2:17 AM

About 120thst


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.