Existing Member?

CWC07and beyond

Mexico

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 30 January 2009 | Views [599]

After the sensory bombardment of Cuba, Mexico City was an interesting change.  Its a huge city (20 mil) but was remarkably clean, quiet and well organised.  We didnt venture too far into the outer, lower ses areas but were pleasenty surprised buy the city.  We even found it hard to find a bar for a drink (unless you were a gay coffee addict).  We had 3 days enjoying the park, the Zocolo (city square) and the Museum of Antropology.  We spent a day out at Teotihuacan, a prehispanic archeological sight on the edge of the city which was most impressive. We are weary not to over do the ruins as we have lots more to see in the next few weeks. One currency is a relief and the street food is amazing.  Real tacos and empanadas for next to nothing.  We have bearly set foot in a restaraunt as a result, good for the tummy and the wallet.

Next stop was the semi desert town of Oaxaca, 6 hrs Sth of M.C.  It was nice to get to a smaller town and back into a hostel to meet some fellow travellers.  We wandered the pleasent city, touched up on some culture before having a cracking night out at a local club with a live band playing from a boxing ring La Candelaria was full of well to do locals out to be scene. 

The next day we did an interesting tour to El Tule (worlds biggest tree), Teotitlan (rug making factory), Mitla (more ruins) a mezcal factory and then Hierve el agua (a petrified waterfall).  It was looking like being a lame tour full of camera happy, bum bag wearing touriods, but in true Mexican style, our guide grabbed a bottle of Mezcal, made us all shoot copious amounts and sure enought the tour got a lot more interesting. Our poor Japanese friend was a bit worse for wear and slept most of the second half of the day while our 60y old Texan woman continued to get louder until she fell on her ass and couldnt get up.  A great day for all the wrong reasons. Check out the photo of Hierve el agua.  Its magic.

Another overnight bus then took us to San Cristobal De las Casas, another great little city in Chiapas state. The home of many indigenous groups and the rebel organisation of Zapatistas, who are fighting for the rights of the local indigenous groups.  They have been involved in armed conflicts with the military on and off since 1994. They are still active and tourists are advised from walking around unguided in the surrounding hills.  We stayed well clear of trouble but visited a small nearby village of Chamula where the locals still worship their own concoction of ancient religeon intertwined with Catholic symbols.  The Zapatista are strong here.  We also went on a Canyon boat trip down ....Canyon and visited caves.  The nights were freezing cold here but we warmed up with a Bon Fire at Rosco´s Backpackers hostel and impromptu sala lessons. 


We then took a day trip from San Cristobal to Pelanque, another set of Mayan Ruins.  This was a long but great day because we spent 2 hrs at Agua Azul along the way (see pics), the most stunning blue cascading waterfall I have ever seen.  We also got to see the Stunning waterfall .... We got to Pelanque in the mid afternoon and enjoyed 2-3hrs wandering through the beautiful site surrounded by living, breathing jungle.  Magnificent.  We then pushed on with an overnight bus via Merida to Vallalodid, our launching pad to Chichen Itza.  We explored a Cenote (underground cave with swimming pool) and then Primed ourselves for the biggest tourist destination of our trip.  An early start kept us ahead of all the tourist buses from Cancun and we enjoyed a relatively quiet morning exploring the very extensive and well preserved Mayan site.  The Ball court was a favourite along with all the Iguanas.


In the afternoon we ventured to Playa del Carmen, a slightly less tacky version of Cancun.  Spring Break!!!!  It was strange to be back in the western world for 24hrs with Walmart, McDonalds and all the usual suspects lurking.  It did however create a good atmosphere for the Superbowl (Go Steelers) and the beach was pretty nice too.

Next stop was Talum, an even better beach scattered with Cabañas and Mayan ruins.  We stayed in town (cheaper) and spoilt our day on the beach a little by getting very sunburnt.  Beautiful nonetheless.

Another 4hrs on the bus and we hit Chetumal and the Belize boarder.

About simon_castles


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.