Existing Member?

MiamiStateOfMind

Unforgettable Amsterdam

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [1231]

Famous for the Max Bygraves hit song “Tulips from Amsterdam,” the capital of the Netherlands may well be, but there are so many more reasons why it is an ideal place to take a holiday in Holland.

You are spoiled for choice when it comes to accommodation in Amsterdam too because besides hotels, B&Bs and apartments, there are also many hostels there, and a price range to suit every pocket.

Amsterdam has so many tourist attractions with its festivals, museums, parks, bars, restaurants, a vibrant nightlife, and just like Venice is full of canals but no gondolas! But you can take cruises on these waterways, as I discovered on my holiday there.

Amsterdam is famous for its museums, and one of these is the Van Gogh Museum, dedicated to the work of one of the most famous artists to have ever lived.

It is easy to find because it is in the aptly named Museum Square and is said to be one of the most popular museums for art in the world. It is easy to see why if you like art.

Speaking of squares, no visit to Amsterdam would be complete without checking out the Dam Square. Popular with people and pigeons, the Dam Square is a great place to experience and to relax at any of its many cafés and bars.

You can usually find some form of entertainment going on, such as the songs and routines of its street performers.

Getting around Amsterdam is easy enough and you have a choice of means of transport. Besides the boats on the canals (already mentioned), there are buses, trams, taxis and a metro service.

Bicycles are very popular too and you can always rent a bike if you fancy cycling around and getting fit at the same time.

Amsterdam has a reputation for its relaxed attitude to the use of cannabis in moderation, and it  is on sale at the many coffeeshops of the city.

If you prefer to stick to drinking beer, Amsterdam is the place for this too because it is home to the Heineken brewery which is where you can enjoy the “Heineken Experience” and see how this beer is made.

If you like going to festivals, Amsterdam is certainly the place to be because the city hosts around 300 such events every year.

There are music festivals, film and theatre festivals, children’s festivals and even a Sail Amsterdam Festival. Summer is the best time for festivals and there are plenty to choose from, including the Hortus Festival held at the Amsterdam botanical gardens, though it is actually not a flower show but classical music concerts. All images cc.

 

Tags: amsterdam, beer, coffeeshops, festivals, holland, museums, netherlands, sail

 

About mareikestravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.