Existing Member?

Lesley and Jan in Palau

Bumming thru Asia

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 11 June 2015 | Views [487]

Ayutthaya Reclining Buddha

Ayutthaya Reclining Buddha

Or travelling slowly by local train!

Hello from Penang!  After rushing from Palau to UK for my Father's funeral we spent time in England with my family and some friends.  It was chilly and rainy but we managed to get out to do some walking.  But of course it was a reflective sad time and we had to decide what to do next.

Our time in Palau was sadly over - we would only have been back for a week or so and our assignment would officially be over.  So we flew to Bangkok.  One night in steamy Bangkok convinced us we needed the countryside!  So we took the first of many train rides - this one north to Ayutthaya.  Ayutthaya is a UNESCO heritage site as it was the capital of Siam until destroyed by the Burmese in the 18th century.  It has amazing ruins of temples, stupas and golden towers.  It has been left as ruins so reminded me of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Next we went south (the trains got slower and more behind schedule from now on!) to Hua Hin.  This is the seaside playground of Thais from Bangkok.  But it was also very expatriate like; so not the small coastal town we wanted.  Another slow train later we were in Pratchuap Khiri Khan.  this was a beautiful fishing village with several half moon shape bays.  We loved it here and could swim, wander and cycle.

The next train was an overnight one to Hat Yai which is right near the Malaysian border.  From there we hustled a ride in a small bus to Penang in Malaysia.  And here we are - loving Georgetown with its UNESCO heritage areas.  Lots of amazing shop fronts and heritage from several cultures.  Jan is going crazy with the Indian food too.

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.