Existing Member?

the world outside / outside the world My life outside America: teaching, learning, living, loving.

Fun, funky, alternative hair salon you ask? I say 'Wildilocks'!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 29 May 2010 | Views [5221]

Kat, my lovely hairstylist, did my hair before the Emilie Autumn show.

Kat, my lovely hairstylist, did my hair before the Emilie Autumn show.

Where to go for fun colors – call up the girls at Wildilocks @ The Lock Works, right in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD (central business district) a short walk away fromFlinders St. station.

 

This is my vague goth tendencies coming out again. Moving to Australia and becoming a student once again finally gave me the opportunity that I’ve wanted for so long but haven’t been able to do namely due to work restrictions – color my hair strange shades of fun. Ok, not my whole head or anything, but I’ve had chunky bits of red-purples, purple-reds, magentas, blood and burgundy, and any various assortment of red-to-purple gradient colors in my hair for the past 6 months or so.

 

I just got a touch-up yesterday and am pleased as punch to have vibrant hair again and I can’t recommend Wildilocks enough. I love the girls that work there (I say girls because I haven’t seen a boy work there yet) and the lovely lady that I go to, Kat, is super fun and seriously knows her stuff. Yeah, she’s definitely not cheap and yeah, I know I’m paying steeply for her expertise but where else can I go for vibrant long-lasting earth-friendly colors? It doesn’t hurt that the décor is steampunk-inspired, there’s a mini-goth shop inside selling all sorts of fun goodies (including lovely smellies from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, of which I’m a huge fan), and when you get your hair shampooed and happen to look up there’s a ceiling cat staring down at you (LOLCats ahoy!). They also fill you up with coffee or tea and random magazines (such as the newest issue of Fiend, for the gothies out there) and off and away you go.

 

So no, I’m not trying to make this out to be some advertisement for the place but it’s pretty darn awesome if you can afford it – whether for coloring, touch-ups, Bettie Paige bangs, dreads, elaborate coiffures, or whatever else you can think of I’d recommend the place.

 

And when I wanted awesome hair – I got awesome hair, such as for the Emilie Autumn concert that happened in Melbourne this past March. Kat styled my hair before the show and I felt oh-so-glam and oh-so-happy.

 

So for anyone out there looking for a high-quality alternative salon that knows its stuff, go to Wildilocks. They have a couple of stores around Australia and have just opened up a new store in New Zealand.

 

(website here: http://www.wildilocks.com/)

 

Happy hair cutting!

Tags: alternative, australia, gothic, hair, melbourne, salon

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.