Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Lobuche

NEPAL | Wednesday, 16 October 2013 | Views [603]

Altitude: 4940m. 

We have made it here after an arduous walk up and across some very snowy terrain. Today was, without a doubt, the toughest slog after Tok Tok. The trail seemed almost endless, completely surrounded with white for hours and beyond. It was such a relief to spot Ngwang, who of course arrived much earlier, herding yak back to Thukla the way that only he would - hurling snowballs at them. :)

It's a bit uncertain as to whether Everest Base Camp or Kala Pathar will happen for us. Recent weather conditions have caused a lot of snow fall at both base camps making it quite a dangerous goal. Just yesterday at Pheriche, we listened to two Japanese travellers having to battle through snow for two hours to get to Everest Base Camp from Gorak Shep, only to spend two minutes there, before having to fight through crazy snow and make their own path to return to safety. We're just taking each day as it comes, hoping for the best but it's becoming to difficult to ignore Ngwant's recent change in demeanour. From the beginning of our time together, he has always shown his enthusiasm and passion for Everest despite his little English but recently, he's been more quiet and serious, implying his uncertainty and possible disappointment. If he is unsure, we should all be.

After all we've been through to get here (and because this is my last trekking holiday :)), it would be great if we could make it up there, but I guess safety always comes first.

Tags: animals, everest base camp, nature, nepal, outdoors, sherpa, snow, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.