Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Tok Tok

NEPAL | Friday, 11 October 2013 | Views [1888]

Altitude: 2800m.

It was a very enjoyable (and easy) walk from Surkhe to Tok Tok today. Tok Tok is a cute little village just past its bigger neighbour, Phakding, where most people stop to stay. It's less busy, less touristy and more cosy. The lodge we are staying at also happens to be our Sherpa's, Ngwang's, brother's, and it is a fabulous new place with clean facilities, a modern Western toilet (it means a lot!), a beautiful view being just by the river and lovely people. What's even more amazing is that there is a bakery at the lodge too! The smell of freshly baked bread definitely comforts my foodie heart. Toast tomorrow for breakfast!

We got here around 2pm after a long and lazy lunch in gorgeous Ghat, where two little camera-shy sisters entertained us with their cheekiness. As the road gets better, the people and dogs seem to get friendlier, too. Today, a cute brown Himalayan dog came up for pats just after lunch, while another non-black* Himalayan dog nearly followed us all the way home from the local monastery we visited to fill up the time (because we weren't used to getting to our destination so early and walking so little!).

I'm gaining more hope in completing this trek and making it to Everest Base camp, now that the grueling walk-in from Jiri is over! The fliers from Lukla have now joined us, looking all fresh and enthusiastic in comparison to us dirty folk who've walked in. I wonder how many of them will make it...

*Side note: We've noted that most dogs we've seen on our trek are black, and all cats are grey.

Tags: animals, everest base camp, friendly strangers, nepal, outdoors, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.