Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

How to be a perfect guest

FRANCE | Saturday, 28 January 2012 | Views [1017]

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Following on from the rant about this seasons guests I thought maybe I should describe what the perfect guest would be like and how they would behave.

Ideally, they would ring head office before they leave and get our number and ask if there is anything we need bringing from home, but if not there are a few things that are a safe bet.

Toiletries in resort are very expensive, so bring what you need for the holiday and leave any half used bottles behind at the end.

Cadburys chocolate! Milka just isn’t the same.

Magazines and newspapers go down well, as does marmite, HP brown sauce, branston pickle and cheddar cheese!

An ideal guest would be down for breakfast at 8 o’clock, getting their ski gear on and out on the slope by nine.

Scraping and stacking plates at dinner time is a winner as well, especially when the table is difficult to navigate round.

My job is to make beds and clean bathrooms, but is so much pleasanter when guests are tidy and the room doesn’t look like a suitcase has exploded and you find dirty, scuzzy pants all over!

One thing that is particular to this chalet, is respecting our privacy. We have a room at the back of the kitchen, and it has been appalling the amount of guests who have walked in on us, or who come down shouting “hellooooo, is anyone there” and asking a really stupid question that could easily wait till I am upstairs back at work again, like how cold is it outside? How many layers do you think I should wear?

And finally, at the end of the week, guests are asked to fill in a questionnaire about how their week has been. Unless it has been really bad, meals cold, late, rooms obviously not touched all week or god forbid the staff have actually been rude or not turned up then put excellent for everything, we get a bonus at the end of season based on the scores and as well, the hosts I know put their hearts and souls into running the chalets, and to get “satisfactory” is so demoralising.

So there you go, that’s how a perfect guest should behave ;)

 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.