Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

A day in Nelson

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 10 January 2015 | Views [262]

Sarah organised a great day for us - we started early with stand up paddle boarding off Takuna beach.  It was a beautiful day, scorching, but the morning was perfect with no wind and flat water.  This was my first time 'sup'ing and I really enjoyed it.  We managed to go quite a long way and went around the rock - Sarah's usual route, but also around the island and back through 'the cut' a narrow section of water which is usually full of big boats and very strong currents. We managed to get through while it was quiet and before the currents got too strong.

After this we went to the Nelson Saturday market and had some fresh pear juice and a maori bread sandwich which was delicious but very fattening as it is fried!  

Next Sarah drove us, and her Dad and his friend, out to Pelorus Bridge for a swim in the river. 

After this we visited cable bay, which was full of jellyfish.

We finished the day with more swimming, this time back at Takuna beach. 

 

Tags: beach, swimming

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.