Existing Member?

World Adventure

Wieliczka salt mine

POLAND | Thursday, 3 December 2009 | Views [904] | Comments [1]

Hi All,

We decided to visit the Wieliczka salt mine today. It was a local bus ride out to the site. Reminds me that it was really easy to figure out the transport and saved us quite a lot of money yesterday and today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine

It was expensive and probably not worth the money but the carvings in the salt made by the miners were impressive and yes I did lick the salt on the wall to check.

Best part was the a salt lake deep in the mine where they played Chopin and switched the lighting around. Very nice.

Next best was being crammed with 7 others into a mine lift which looked like it could only take 3 people in total. T

Then for a sleep strategy. Two bottle of vodka. One cranberry and the other manderine flavour. Vodka must be ice cold when drunk so we were told by one of the staff. We sat drinking a few shots with Tom, the amusing wine maker from Margaret River, who had been learning the french winemaking process in the leon region, while watching the movie Oceans 13.

We were lucky enough to have another free meal. Pasta this time followed by pudding. Our host quick on his feet called in Pudinski when we asked him the type of dessert. Some in the hostel even believed...

We decided to go out on a vodka tasting tour later and sampled four differnet flavours of chocolate, medicinal,honey...and would you believe that I can't remember the last one. Then we went to another pub for beer from a tall pipe. Very nice. The was a british weekender who deteriorated quickily and seemed completely distracted by the pentiful, beautiful eastern european krakow girls. We went to a nightclub just out of the main area which Tom had been to on the previous night but it was not happening so we left taking with us a scared ex US military person who was also at our hostel. He thought the area was a little scary and wanted to catch a taxi but we refused. Hey if sexy young girls can walk the streets without fear then they must be safe. Get some kkkkkk courage ex army man. We certainly weren't drunk and still had plenty of vodka left in our bottles back at the hostel at the end of the evening.

The sick american snored well again that night and even the touch of vodka couldn't help so sleep avoided us again.

Next day. Up early. Had the morning train to catch to Wraclaw.

Bye,

David and Vanessa

Comments

1

Not sure if you two remember me from the hostel in Bergen Norway? My cousin Ross and I were enjoying the British boys and their fish with you one evening...

Anyway, I did quit my job and I'm off on my own (yearlong?) adventure, starting in Australia in Feb 2010. Please email me, I need advice to get started...

  Kady Dec 3, 2009 8:15 AM

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.