Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Railway Bazaar

PAKISTAN | Sunday, 14 February 2010 | Views [589] | Comments [1]

As well as the usual markets selling everything from industrial chemicals to paper products Lahore has several that specialise in second hand wares. Some of these are obviously local – dead format electronica and spares for the ever present Suzuki Khyber. Others are clearly imports, either from British or Canadian charity shops, Japanese lost property offices, or the varied detritus of those who came and stayed a while then left their things behind.

So yesterday, wandering with Warda, we found tins marked 'by appointment to HM the King' and commemorative trinkets celebrating the marriage of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.

Of the former it is easy enough to speculate a history. A colonial officer bringing with him his family and things known to be hard to find on the outlying edges of empire. Reports from sunburnt wives of the unavailability of Oxo cubes, canned vegetables, condensed milk. Though how this tin survived the upheavals of the last 60 or 70 years to end up now in my custody cannot be known. But here it is, small and perfect and hardly corroded by intervening summers.

Of the wedding mug it is harder to say. Has it been here since the 1980s, the prize possession of a local monarchist. Or did it come last week, the last un-saleable item in some widow's estate. In any case it was cracked, and badly repaired with yellowing epoxy.

Better were the tea cups, English porcelain from long defunct Midland's potteries. The pastel colours of the last days of British manufacturing. Some chipped, many whole, all utterly mismatched. That they came so long after the end of Empire seems appropriate. First were sent people, and the things they need. Then because of trade ties industrial equipment and education. Much later came what was rejected then rejected again. In another generation there will be no English things to find their way into the world, even second hand.

I have them wrapped in paper for the journey home.

Comments

1

Not content with emptying all of the second hand shops in Prahran, you're going and taking all of the crockery from the Pakistanis as well!

Enjoy it :) And update your blog more often.

  El Yobo Feb 20, 2010 8:11 PM

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.