Existing Member?

Six months abroad!

Bangkok- Day 8

THAILAND | Wednesday, 23 March 2011 | Views [419] | Comments [1]

Today we headed off to another suburb called Siam which is the shopping mecca of Bangkok with absolutely huge shopping malls and lots of aircon to escape the heat!!!! :)

OUr first stop was to Jim Thompsons house who was an American expat who was famous for reintroducing the old thai tradition of silk clothing. His house was on a huge estate with traditonal little houses that had been imported from all over thailand. The main house was 6 houses put together as one big open plan Thai home and inside contained all the amazing artefacts that he had collected. The interesting thing about this Jim Thompson fellow was that he went missing while on a holiday in Malaysia in the 80's and noone knows where he went... Some people say he got eaten by a tiger/bear and some people say he was murdered nonetheless there is no evidence to suggest anything!. anyways his house was donated to Thailand as it contains some of the oldest artefacts of their culture. It was pretty cool to see and for 100 baht you were shown around by a guide.

Then we headed off to Siam shopping preceinct on the sky train, Panthip plaza was full of gadgets, software and phones (Sorry Lick but Iphones are just as expensive as back home and the fake ones are like 300dollars aus) We bought an inetrnet sim card as well- so now we can call you all (if you have a home phone cause it is cheaper) works out to be around 1baht per minute... soooo cheap!

Then we went to Siam Paragon; a huge mall and im talking huge! it has its own aquarium, movie theatre, conference stadium and whole level devoted to food!!!!! -There are photos of the food level but they dont do it justice. 

On our way over to the MBK centre was a free Muh Thai fight to watch. ross loved it and to my surprise it was actually pretty interesting to watch. They fight as in do boxing but also chuck in some martial arts kicks etc lol.

 We took a taxi home and stopped off at the Khao San road where i bought a few singlets and ross bought a head scarf cause he is dripping all day like a beasty hahhah.

well Love to you all. Im off to get my nails done and maybe a massage while ross goes to some meditation seminar with the monks, he is really interested in it... and it is good for us to do some things apart!!! hahah Lets hope I dont get taken!

Love Nell and Ross

xoxoxooxoxox

Comments

1

i love love loved Paragon...that is the best shopping area...
have you been to any of the drag shows yet? gotta go to one of them. but remember, it you want a photo with them only get with one, because if you get two, you pay for too, isnt that right grandma?

  David Rolls Mar 24, 2011 2:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.