Existing Member?

Shabadoo and wifelette down under

Pedro the Optometrist

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 27 February 2008 | Views [1081]

Have you heard of those notable folks throughout history - the special ones? The ones where, when you read accounts of their acts of bravery and greatness, you'll see that the people around them have followed them unquestioningly to brutal and gory deaths, or glorious triumphs on the battlefield? Men and women who have inspired entire armies and civilizations by their sheer presence. The Napoleons, the Churchills, the Cleopatras, the Attila the Huns of world history? Well, I've met one of them, and he's an optometrist in Johannesburg.

A brief introduction. I bought new glasses just before leaving the UK. And they hurt. They were gouging a hole in the side of my head like some ant strip-mining company trying to get to my brain-gold. Cat's Mum led us to the Rosebank Mall in Johannesburg, where she gets her eyes tested. And there I met a great man.

Pedro was originally from Lisbon. He had spent some time in London 20 years earlier. He was not impressed by the folks of Boots Opticians in England. And he could fix glasses. Quickly. And he has this weird aura about him, that makes even a miserable, cynical git like me want to dance with joy. His enthusiasm was infectious. He sent me away with a song in my heart and a spring in my step.

And you know the great thing? I forgot to get my sunglasses sorted, and had to head back a couple of days later to see if he could fix them. And he could. And I left the optometrists for the second time just as high as the first. This man should be available on prescription to all depressed people. He is the crack cocaine of happiness, and I am a joy junkie. Yay Pedro.

So, if you're feeling like you just can't go on; if the job's getting you down; if your other half is screaming at you; if it's just not working out for any reason; get your arse on a plane to Johannesburg, and visit the Rosebank Mall. Go to Eagle Vision, and ask for Pedro. And it will all be okay. Everything will be just fine.

This man will rule the world one day. And he'll do a great job of it too. Visit him whilst he's still unknown, and bask in his greatness.

Tags: People

 
 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.