Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Jettin' to Jetta Burger

JAPAN | Friday, 13 August 2010 | Views [1866]

Going along with the theme of trying some new cafes/restaurants, we decided to try out one of the new places at Depot Island (the new buildings behind American Village - or Okinawa Disneyland, as I call it.)  Jetta Burger enticed us in with this wonderful chalkboard menu - chock full of wonderful pictures!  (Our photo is only a portion of the board.)

The cafe has four picnic tables for sit-in and the theme is old-style American.  (Can you pick out the Campbell's Soup cans in their display!  We definitely enjoyed their decorating!)

You order at the counter, then a server comes out through this door to deliver your food.

Although there is a self-service fountain drink machine, typical to many Japanese restaurants and cafes, there are no free refills.  Also, although there aren't true "walls" to the cafe, they do have plastic curtains that can be closed to keep out the rain.  It was raining, of course, while we ate, so we were very grateful for the dry tables.

I ordered their Titan Burger (extra cheese, original smoke bacon) and made it a set (with drink and potatoes.)  A word to the wise: Japanese bacon is not like American bacon.  It's mostly fat with a tiny bit of meat.  I don't know why they like this, but it is very common here.  (Side note: our favorite ramen shop has a specialty side dish of cartilage you can order with your ramen.  Most of the meats you get in your ramen are also very gristly.  I imagine this has to do with additional flavor, but Megumi also tells me that some times it is considered very healthy (especially the cartilage.)  I don't know what to tell you other than it seems to be a cultural thing.

Brandon ordered the Hawaiian DX (cheese, avocado, pineapple, egg) and made his a set, as well. 

Overall, this is not going to be our favorite burger joint.  Love the decorating, but the actual burgers - not so much.  They do have a number of smoothies on their menu, so we may venture back another time to give one a try.  Until then, we'll continue on our journey of trying other cafes/restaurants.  Happy eating!  :)

---Arielle

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.