Existing Member?

Jeju, vulcan of beauty

Island in the sun

SOUTH KOREA | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [359] | Scholarship Entry

Musty days , mosquitoes and rain.
Hiking and living day by day , learning something new , meeting new people , trying new things. Life can be so simple and be perfect as well. Not to think too much. Just do. Act on impulse and change on the way.
It was morning , around 5 am. Had to go to catch a bus which would take me to Jangheung port to catch a ferry to Jeju island. Got in a cab , went down to bus stop just to realize that bus going to port doesn’t start from bus station , it goes from train station. Oh , language difference how I hated you than. I could not catch it anymore so I decided to take normal bus , which would arrive to late. Only bitter thing for me that my two colleagues from work were accompanying me. And I failed them. Our beloved trip to Jeju was ending there. In a bus. Going to some city. Somewhere in Korea.
Strange things happen. When you want to believe in something. Driving on a wet , rainy highway , thinking about my failure was interrupted by my colleague yelling “Jangheung port express , Jangheung port express !“ I looked to my left , and there it was , bus we missed my Moby Dick. Jumping straight away I went to the very old driver who didn't speak English and started to explain to him by god know which measures that that is our bus and we need to stop it. Somehow he understood me. All of my sadness turned to joy and all of my shame turned to pride in such a short time. He signaled other bus driver to stop , and shortly when they found a right place they pulled over and in light speed we changed buses. Well me and the colleague who saw the bus did. Other one , she was sleeping and was a bit to disoriented at the moment. But that was just a part of her charm. Getting to the port you could start to smell the sea. And when we got there , there he was , Orange Jangheung ferry whit a big picture of Orange on it. Was wandering why it’s there . I got my answer latter. On a ride back to mainland I got a song stuck in my head. Weezers - “Island in the sun”. Because all this beauty was making me feel so fine I could not control my brain. It was the island and people I was there with. This kind of moments last forever. This kind of perfect moments , and perfect places. They call Jeju also the “Love island”. If you don’t have no love going there be sure you will fall in love. If not in anyone than for sure you will fall in love in this beautiful island. Their smiling people and their oranges and chocolate Jeju is known for.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About zorex


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.