Existing Member?

The Bare Necessities

Long Lines and Dirty Bottoms

VENEZUELA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [409] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

I laid in the bed, counting down the days until I got to go home; 28 days, 10 hours, 3 minutes. I was about two months into my trip to Venezuela. A trip I had never anticipated would be so difficult. I looked back on the two months that had passed and realize how much I used to take for granted. Basic things like short lines at the supermarket and chicken were a luxury here.

My days were spent in my grandmother’s house trying to understand how Venezuela got to be in the state that it is now. My grandmother, a kind, strong, and wise woman taught me so much in the 3 months I spent in Venezuela. She told me of better times when the people were not afraid to live. When happiness ruled Venezuela. Now, the country that was once the happiest on earth is torn down and ridden with poverty. The colorful graffiti walls served to distract from the violence around the corner. The beautiful open houses are now completely fenced in. The government that once helped the people, now helped only themselves. People rushed home after work to not be caught out after dark.

The government withheld the bare necessities from the people. Women would go to the supermarkets every day just to see if these goods had arrived. Many times after waiting in two hour lines, they left empty handed. I remember one morning going to the super market on a hunt for toilet paper. Something I had taken for granted in the states. If we had not found any that day, we would have run out of toilet paper by the next morning. We were lucky though, as my uncle’s household had been out of toilet paper for days. My aunt and I arrived at the store and there was a buzz in the air. The toilet paper had arrived, along with other basics like masarepa and chicken. We waited in line for what seemed like an eternity and were lucky to get all of the things we needed. We were even able to get our hands on extra toilet paper for my uncle’s family.

My aunt and I left the store with the greatest sense of accomplishment. We were able to find what our family needed and our hearts were full. Later that day my uncle stopped by my grandmother’s house to pick up what we had bought for his family. I will never forget the look on his face when my aunt handed him the pack of toilet paper. My uncle hugged that toilet paper like a child would hug a long-lost teddy bear. I had never seen anyone look so full of joy over something that seemed so simple. Something from that moment resonated within me and it forever changed me.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

We have to be thankful for all what we have!

  Freddy Ordonez May 28, 2015 2:15 AM

About zordonez


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Venezuela

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.