Existing Member?

Travels

making purchases and a wedding

INDIA | Saturday, 21 February 2009 | Views [598] | Comments [4]

Making purchases:

Today, I finally begun making purchases and putting in my orders for my jewelry!  Over the last few days, I had a few false starts and I had trouble finding the style and type of quality jewelry I am looking for.  But today--BINGO! I spent 7 hours in a shop, picking through sterling pieces with faceted gems and designing my own pieces.  I only designed a small amount of pieces, and while I am really excited about them, I think for now, I'll stick to buying ready made pieces because designing my own is extremely time consuming.  So I think I have enough faceted pieces now.  Tommorrow, I'll shop for pure silver pieces without stones :)

A wedding:

Last night, against the never-ending soundtrack of honking horns, I also heard a marching band going down the street in front of my hotel.  I ran downstairs to see what was going on and the first thing I saw was a white horse all decorated in a regal looking mirrored ensemble...it had decorations all over its face and beads hanging from it.  And then there was a group of people, maybe 50 people dressed in their finest...the women looked like royalty wearing the brightest, most jewel-encrusted saris I have seen yet.  People were setting off fireworks in the street...not little fircrackers, but 4th of July style fireworks were shattering my ears, jolting my whole body, and raining down glitter in the night sky.  "What is this?" I asked someone. "A wedding!!" was the reply.  The groom was dressed in a fancy white outfit with a white turban and when he got on that fancy horse, the people in the crowd cheered very loudly. Then women started going up to him and waving money around his head.  The band was still playing loud and people were feeding something yummy to the horse.  I couldn't tell who the bride was because there were about 10 equally stunning women.  This celebration went on for about 1/2 hour, and the party walked on to another block....

Comments

1

Wow Zoe....some people get to hear stories, and see things in movies, and you are experiencing it in real life. I am so happy for you, and I hope that you will keep up this blog because I am really enjoying reading all about your journey. Stay well, and live in the moment. ;-)

  Deb Bubis Feb 22, 2009 4:07 AM

2

Zoe,

Hey.. its Brianna at FC. I just wanted to tell you that your journey sounds amazing. I was thinking of you today when I was at this tiny little jewelry shop in Fort Collins. As I was walking out of the store I looked down and there was a peacock feather on the ground! So I picked up and saved it for you, definately fate! Safe travels and can't wait to read your next entry.

Best,

Brianna

  Brianna Riggio Feb 22, 2009 11:30 AM

3

Wow Brianna!! Thanks for telling me about that feather and the jewelry store : ) See you guys in a few weeks, I'm sure!

  zoe Feb 23, 2009 2:07 AM

4

Zoe - I am so happy to hear that you have found something that fulfills the dreams of your child and adult self! It makes my heart sing! I am so excited to see the pieces you made and picked out. Sorry you were sick... I guess it's a right of passage in India. And the wedding! It's possible that the bride's family was somewhere else. What I know about Indian weddings is that the groom's party dances and parties all the way to the bride's party. THe bride is waiting at the place where they will get married and her family embraces the groom's family when they arrive. Much love and light to you on this journey. I miss not being able to call you!


  Kristin McLean Feb 23, 2009 12:03 PM

About zoejoy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.