Existing Member?

Loco for Lokum: on assignment inTurkey The lowdown on winning the 2011 World Nomads/Rough Guides Scholarship...

Topaki Palace

TURKEY | Friday, 10 June 2011 | Views [1365]

Topkapi palace. Residence of the lavishly dressed Ottoman Sultans and their infamous Harem and resting place of the renowned ‘three spoons’ 186-caret diamond (so called because its original purchase was for the price of a measly 3 wooden spoons), the UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of Istanbul’s biggest tourist draws. But more than anything it’s simply a beautiful place to spend a morning.
.
.
Initially constructed in 1459 and kept in pristine condition, the sprawling complex of buildings are elaborately decorated with gold trimmings and intricate tile work and courtyards punctuated with vibrant red flowers. There's enough history contained within these walls to fill a university syllabus - perhaps a little too much for the average sightseer - but there's also a glittering collection of jewels to gawp at in the treasury and a comical display of Ottoman style dresses and odd triangular shaped trousers to marvel at. 
.
.
In the inner courtyard
.
.
.
Gold trimmings and intricate tile work
.
.
.
.
.
.
Palace gardens

About zoe_smith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.