Existing Member?

A New Adventure We do but turn another page - Act Three!

Shanghai/Christmas - Where's MY culture shock?

CHINA | Sunday, 27 December 2015 | Views [403]

As I headed into the holiday season – the first time to be away from the states at this time in many years – I was expecting a heavy dose of homesickness and culture shock. We had been teaching all new students in our program in Utah about culture shock and its stages – honeymoon, horror, humor, home and I realized that I haven’t really experienced it in the traditional sense since I’ve been here.  I think it might have changed or is changing for several reasons. The first two are I think specific to me and my situation – one is that my living situation in Nanjing is very convenient – I live a five minute walk away from work and don’t have to deal with commuting, traffic, costs that could lead to hard feelings, second I tend to look on the craziness of the drivers and the lack of respect for personal space, etc as a form of street theatre – it is very entertaining.  The other two reasons are not personal to me but apply generally – first – the world is just getting more and more similar with globalization and internationalization – even in a country like China – which prides itself on being closed off, things are changing especially as more Chinese travel abroad and experience other cultures. As a result, they are starting to demand authenticity in foreign goods and foods – which has also been happening in the U.S.  Second, wherever you are in the world, you can stay connected and even immersed in your own culture with the internet, skyping, etc. I streamed “It’s a Wonderful Life” during Christmas week on Amazon prime, watched some Carol Burnett Christmas shows on xbox and streamed my favorite Christmas songs. I think the process or the characteristics of culture shock have changed or are changing and I think it will depend on the location and the access that exists in your new cultural location and will be different or perhaps even non-existent for some people. There are some days when I actually forget that I am in a foreign country!

A couple of weeks before Christmas, I accompanied some of my UCLA colleagues to Shanghai. They were attending a recruiting event so I tagged along planning to meet my former student Jun – he is Japanese and is running his father’s sporting glove factory near Shanghai. We had a pleasant 90 minute ride on the bullet train and once arriving, we headed immediately to a popular Mexican restaurant for lunch – nachos, burritos, tacos and margaritas! I tried to check into my hotel (which I had booked and paid for through Orbitz) but they had not record of the reservation or the payment. Luckily, one of the UCLA professors was able to switch to a double room at the Marriott so we could share.  That was definitely a step up (not in price) from the place I had “booked” which was a Vegas style hotel with golden lions in a fountain and faux marble pillars, etc. Spent the afternoon and evening visiting tourist spots – People’s Park, Nanjing Road – pedestrian shopping street which all decked out in Christmas schlock – the Bund on the waterfront and back to the hotel. Shanghai is an amazing - full of a variety of influences that haven't been obliterated but still survive - lots of European influence from different periods - great art deco facades, bauhaus style on some buildings. Unfortunately, foreigners are constantly being bugged to buy watches, bags, or get massages. I was approached outside the Marriott and promised " a beautiful girl - anything I want...massage, sexual massage, blow job, happy ending."

After sightseeing, while the UCLA people went off to their event, I got a bottle of whiskey and snacks from a nearby Family Mart and waited for Jun who was just flying in from Myanmar. We had a nice time catching up and finished off the bottle neatly. He is married now and has a four month old son. His wife and son live in Hiroshima so he is living the separated family life similar to the one he was raised in. He was a student in the same class with Peggy and often is in Salt Lake for all the outdoor retailer stuff.

The next day I swam off my hangover in the infinity pool on the top floor of the hotel – had the pool all to myself! It was great. Nice buffet breakfast and then more sightseeing – the Yu garden – an elaborate Chinese traditional garden with ponds and temples and caves and tunnels. Very serene. Then to Tianzifeng – a crazy warren of alleys converted into unique shops and cafes – had mulled wine. Headed back to Nanjing arriving about 7:30 Sunday night.

My colleagues and I enjoyed Christmas eve dinner at my boss’ apartment – finally a real turkey dinner! I made my wassail which was a big hit. Went to a bar after to play pool and continue drinking. Went home as Christmas hit in the glow of the full moon – amazingly visible. Spent Christmas day lazing around and skyping with family in Richmond as they prepared for Christmas.  Had Christmas dinner at a lovely French restaurant – rib eye steak – the closest I could get to prime rib – great wine. Afterwards, joined a party at my Chinese language teacher’s apartment (just upstairs from mine). Drinking games and Cards Against Humanity. Then re-skyped with the fam since they had just finished opening presents.

Spent boxing day cleaning and doing laundry and grading my students’ videos. Also watched The Force Wakes Up which was quite enjoyable. Had mussels (frozen but still very good!) and a fresh baguette from the Paris Baguette bakery across the street. Today, I just need to get mentally prepared for next week. Each of the five sections I teach is going to perform a short play before the Spring festival holidays in three weeks – so lots to do. Next week is another four day week and I will be heading to Hong Kong for the three day weekend – meeting up with Wayne and Gordon. Should be fun. Then looking forward to the long spring holiday and my trip to Taiwan and Japan with Daniel and Peggy.

Wishing you all the best.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.