Existing Member?

Home is Where the Heart is

The Coca-Cola and Pepsi Turf War

USA | Friday, 25 May 2007 | Views [612]

Every where you go in Honduras you will see either a Coke-Cola sign or the Pepsi sign.  Apparently in all the small towns/puebles spraw across Honduras agree to let them put up a sign of the name of their town, name of their store, or even name of the school in order for them to pay for the sign printing or painting. 

In the mountains of San Pedro Sula….as you drive into town you see a large neon flashing sign in the distance and it’s COKE-COLA. A large red neon sign.  Sadly that is how I orient my self to the city, because it is the only sign that is visible pretty much anywhere you go in the city. 

On to the point as to why I’m writing this little blog.  American Corporations are definitely not responsible when it comes to third world country.  It is sort of how Phillips has billboard sign everywhere in other countries except for the US.

The endocrinologist I met here told me how the Honduran society has change because of these soda signs everywhere.  The high incident of diabetes, the earlier and earlier on set of diabetes.  It’s sad most of these people do not comprehend the severity and the mortality of the disease because it wasn’t so prevalent before.  The endocrinologist told me back in the day….you would see people carry around ice tea, lemonade or water in bottles to work; now you see people carry the 3 liter bottle of soda to work.  AND IT IS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!  As I was sitting in a taxis going across town I notice at the construction work sites, all the labor have a 3 liter bottle of Coke with them.  I was shock because I though he was exaggerating……..

Tags: Culture

About zinzin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.