Existing Member?

Ashok Raghupathy Journal Photo Essays of Ashok Raghupathy

In Twenty Valley, Fall in Wine Country

CANADA | Thursday, 21 October 2010 | Views [1252]

After a warm summer, Canada starts to cool with rain showers and cold winds. This marks the onset of autumn. In autumn or fall, the foliage transforms into brilliant hues of Yellow, Orange & Bright Red. What better way to enjoy fall colors and the Harvest season than go on a drive, away from the glass and steel facades of Toronto to the heart of Ontario’s Wine Country, Twenty valley?

 

Located in the Niagara Escarpment and nestled by Lake Ontario, Twenty Valley offers nature trails, rustic vineyards and epicurean delights. Situated at 43° latitude, the growing season and sunshine is similar to Bordeaux in France or Tuscany in Italy. The region boasts of a unique Terroir that result in world-class wines including the nectar like Ice Wines. Within an hour’s drive away from Toronto or Buffalo, Twenty Valley is ideal for a weekend getaway. The Twenty Valley Wine Region in encompasses hamlets of BeamsVille, Jordan and Vineland. 

Offering views of rolling vineyards and shimmering Toronto skyline in the distance, Visitors to Beamsville are encouraged to explore kilometers of wooded trails through vineyards including a designated trail along the Bruce Trail, A UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. As we tread carefully into the woods laden with maple leaves to not step on the Wild Mushrooms, we neared a marshy area, Perched on the branches, we spotted a Great Blue Heron - the largest among North American Herons. This photogenic bird posed while most birds are camera shy.

Walking through Wine yards, we heard echoes of Rifle Shots. Curious at first, it made us jumpy as we walked further down the trail; just then we met a local winemaker and inquired if that was a hunter on the grounds. He chuckled and said “those ominous sounds are from the Bird Bangers”, contraptions installed in the vineyards to chase the starlings, small silver tipped birds, that feast on grapes away. This further explained why the vines were wrapped in miles of wire mesh.

Grapes are ready to harvest between Augusts to October. The Grapes are then harvested or for a few select varieties traditionally handpicked to ensure the ripeness based on the variety of vintage the winemakers plan to make. The harvested grapes are then taken to the presses to prepare the Crush. Crush or quite simply Grape juice is stored in temperature controlled steel vats. Temperature plays a key factor in fermentation that influences the final wine varietals.

To age and provide the wines a distinctive flavor, color and texture the wines are then transferred and aged in barrels of French Oak.

As it started to drizzle, we headed to The View - A rustic wood and stone restaurant that overlooks acres of vineyards and Lake Ontario. As it rained outside, our friendly hostess brought us our Menu of the Seasonal Cuisines and Vintages from the estates.

After a long hike, the hearty buffet of sumptuous Thanksgiving favorites such as the Butternut Squash Soup, Roast Turkey, Seasonal Salads and Home made desserts such as Pumpkin Pecan pie proved to be exactly what our hostess prescribed for the famished traveler.

 

 

Our next stop: Jordan Village. The village of Jordan with its tree lined Main street offers art galleries, antique shops and sophisticated dining restaurants. The historic winery building of Cave Spring Cellars in the village offers wine tours, tasting and a boutique for their vintages and locally produced wines from the Niagara Escarpment region. The Village has a fair like feeling that lends to the friendly hospitality and festive mood of Thanksgiving.

A short drive takes us to the hillside hamlet of Vineland. The winding road takes us to the picturesque wine yards of Megalomaniac Wineries. As we arrive at the limestone cellars and the tasting rooms, we find their labels carry like the winery carry interesting names such as Coldhearted Riesling and [Profanity withheld] Pinot Noir. Just up the hill from the cellars is the mansion of John Howard, the proprietor of Megalomaniac. The mansion boasts of it’s own private wine yard with varietals from France and Australia.

As we drove away from the valley, the splendor of fall in the wineries on a cool October day proved to be a refreshing and a thoroughly enjoyable road trip.

In Twenty Valley, Fall in Wine Country 

Tags: canada, hdr, ontario, photography, twenty valley, winery, zenithscapes

 

About zenithscapes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.