Existing Member?

Alien everywhere

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [99] | Scholarship Entry

I went to Bogotá. Since I took the plane, I felt that it would be a different trip. Even when everything looks normal (right, in some ways), there where little details I found it as a revelation: the meal was amazing, with no traces of plastic chicken flavour in the beef sauce, without the hottest soup that almost melt plate, and better, with 2 news products to my tongue: a non sour tiny "oranges", a kind of passion fruit I guess (Uchuva), and, my other treasure, I'd got a "bocadillo", a kind of hard guava jam enveloped in a curious plantain three`s leaf (Do not eat it!), for the dessert.
Bogotá is a strange place, or a lot of normal places, all together. I arrived to a tiny airport, full of long queues and with many police check's, where the government invested millions to make people know Colombia is a safe and nice place, but not to make them think it's full of technology and progress. I guess people in Colombia is not totally used to flights because when I arrived, there were lots of people with banners and balloons, shouting with energy and throwing confetti for the out comers. It seems as an archaic ritual based in the idea about foreign : they are the best for all, and the others need to "develop" to get their superior life style. So Colombians think everyone who went to another country is a kind of successful guy, especially if it is from Europe.
After that warm welcome, I took a cab: one of the biggest experiences until now. Taxis in Colombia are not necessary registered and there are rumours about the risk of been robbed or kidnapped, next to the list of tricks you need to do to survive those situations. But the taxi driver not just took me to my destiny explaining some things about Colombia, as nice people in another places. He even invite me for lunch and he offered himself as a guide, to his favourite places! In his Renault 1978, next to the notice of popular wisdom, you could find... Sorry, I had to stop: Read the end from my blog, since Singapore!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About zelfus


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.