Existing Member?

leadership on my travellling

Catching a Moment - my leadership experience

CHINA | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [204] | Scholarship Entry

At January 2013, I went to China to become a volunteer from Indonesia. I joined education for children project to helped children who are lack of dreams. At that time, I have my life changing experience. Not only pursue textbook knowledge but also seek the experiences outside, from other country ! I’m one of Indonesian youth, I want to stop being apathetic, I want to give positive impact.
I Teach English and culture to twelve Chinese children in my team, I teach with two Chinese volunteers. For the first time it was really easy, when I have miss communication with the children, the Chinese volunteer in my team helped me every time, they communicated in mandarin. I let Chinese volunteers lead the class, and just teach or spoke when they asked. It was happened every day, Until both of them leave me. They have to go back to their hometown for spring festival. and I must teach alone ! no more Chinese volunteer in my class. then I realized, now I’m in a leader position and at that time I must prepare talent show !
My student must perform. We faced many difficulties along the way. In these difficult conditions, I realized that there were many students who had full potential but lacked interest. They were too shy! So I thinking hard and searched so many performance that suitable for them. And finally I got it! I asked them to watch the funny “hand-baby-dance”. I explained the trick behind it and motivated them to perform and win the talent show. And finally they agreed! We prepared without translator anymore! They always brought English dictionary to understand me and I also brought mandarin dictionary, I organized them with all my skills.
Finally I heard so many applause from audience to us! My class won the talent show even there’s no Chinese volunteer in my class.
Then I realized, one of the best ways to truly learn and improve myself is to be in the leader position. leadership experience isn't about what i have done, it's about what I have helped other people do, How have I motivated others. Have I ever improved the performance of others. Have I been able to make use of other people's talents and skills.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About zainuna


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.