Existing Member?

Adventure is out there! If I'm not traveling, I'm dreaming about traveling.

Answering the Age Old Question: Bungy Jumping

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [284] | Scholarship Entry

If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump too?
At the moment I stood on the edge of this bridge with my arms outstretched and hearing the man behind me countdown, I realized what I was doing.

Boulkrans Bridge in South Africa is the highest commercial bridge bungy at a mere 216 meters (709 feet) high. I only say mere to make myself sound tougher than the story will reveal.
For someone who takes calculated risks and avoids spontaneity, this was the opposite of something I would do, but also something I greatly looked forward to when traveling to South Africa.
The lush green landscape temporarily distracted us from the tall jump. The one thing to look forward to was getting a meal included in the price after the jump.
Once up the bridge, loud techno music played to pump everyone up and the workers danced as they pulled the ropes. It kept us focused on everything but the jump.

My name was called and the instructor prepared me by getting the straps ready and reassured me saying he gave me an extra rope to my harness to secure me. This didn't reassure me as I was more worried whether my friends would get the same special treatment and what if they didn't and what if they fell. Afterward I realized he only said that to calm the nerves that I wasn't aware showed on my face.
As he guided me closer to the edge of the bridge - it set in. I focused on the music and the food I'd get after.
"Put your toes closer to the edge."
I didn't want to inch forward, but obviously I'd be jumping off soon so did that really make a difference now? No it didn't.
The instructor held me steady, told me to stretch out my arms, and then backed away. It was then I realized I was doing this by myself. I know that sounds strange, but honestly it didn't hit me until that moment what I was about to do.

"3...2...1...BUNGY!!"

Let me tell you - I have no idea how or what force compelled me to jump, but I did. I was not aware I could scream that loud nor for that long. All I could think was this is it. I die now.
Soon the cord caught me and slowly I came to a stop, hanging upside down.
It was strangely peaceful and eerily quiet. I yelled out into the landscape and there was no echo.
In the next moment a man came down to help me sit up and accompany me back up.
Once I was able to stand again, one of the instructors asked if I'd ever do it again.
A bit too quickly and fervently, I said no.
I may not ever bungy jump again, but I sure am glad that I jumped that day in South Africa.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About yyolandaa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.