Existing Member?

The Day I Was Mugged in Valparaiso

The Day I was Mugged in Valparaiso

CANADA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [357] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget the day that I was surrounding by three gruff looking men who then proceeded to rob me in broad daylight in Valparaiso, Chile. Earlier that day, I had awoken in Santiago eager to embark on my two hour journey that would lead me to the beautiful coastal city of Valparaiso. I had decided to visit the city so I could interview someone for my thesis while also visiting a friend who lived in a neighboring city.

I arrived at the bus station and ducked into a cafe to lay out a map, searching for the address of the lady I was planning to interview. I gauged the distance between locations as I took a sip of my cappuccino. I knew that the safest mode of transportation would be a taxi, but as I glanced outside at the cloudless sunny sky, I was convinced that I could complete my journey on foot. I finished my coffee and set out to explore the back streets of Valparaiso. As I turned a new corner, I noticed a small child playing with some construction tools that someone had left behind. I smiled warmly as I pulled out my DSLR camera and knelt beside him to capture what I believed would be a great shot. However, my focus on the child prevented me from noticing that I was being watched.

As I stood up and walked away, I felt uneasy. Unfortunately, this ominous feeling came a little bit too late. The first mugger crept up behind me and grabbed my purse so forcefully that the straps popped off, spilling all of its contents across the middle of the street. The second man snatched my camera while the third man began to shake me violently in an effort to relieve me of my backpack. The purse was lost, but I had not given up hope for my camera. I seized the DSLR from the mugger's hands and fell face forward onto the ground. Seconds felt like hours as I began to scream for help in Spanish. AYUDAME! In response to my cries, my assailants began to punch and kick me while still trying to rip my backpack off my back.

Finally, I heard footsteps that sent my attackers running; their only prize was my purse, which was relatively empty. That day, I wept uncontrollably as I sat on my friend's couch with an ice pack pressed against my temple. It was a gloomy day but I had survived my first mugging. The event itself taught me a valuable lesson. I accepted the fact that travelling can be dangerous and instead of leaving Chile and thus ending my adventure, I became more knowledgeable by preparing myself before I go overseas. In the end, I became a better traveler.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About yvonne_marieanne


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.