Existing Member?

2009 Finally decide to take a year out in Canada, so lets see what happens.

Life so far - When people come together

CANADA | Tuesday, 21 April 2009 | Views [295]

This weekend I went to the Earth day festival on Jericho beach. Loads of people were out planting trees, watching performances led by one of the First Nation tribes, selling hand made products and just generally hanging out on the beach. I let my curiosity run and walked along Jericho Beach to Kitsilano Beach. It's a good thing the tide was low because there isn't a man made path connecting the beaches, I walked for a couple of hours, enjoying the scenery, saying hi to strangers and just enjoying the day. It was a fab day. Today - the 20th of April - is considered to be the unofficial National Marijuana Day. No it's not legal, but protestors gathered together outside Vancouver Museum to protest against the illegality of Pot and to show their frustration by smoking pot on mass outside the museum. Never seen anything like it in my life! You could smell the Pot a block away - and guess where I work? A block away. It was peacefully done, the cops seemed really nice and no dog's on leashes, no poking people with batons or shoving them when they don't move fast enough. Just cops creating a paper barrier so that the mass of people don't spill over into the road with on coming traffic or diverting traffic whilst protesters skate board on the empty streets and proclaim the injustice of making pot illegal. Technically they were not allowed to smoke the pot and were threatened with cautioning if found smoking a joint, but a handful of cops against a couple of 100 people puffing away?... you do the maths. Apparently I'm living in what is called Hollywood North. Hollywood comes to Vancouver to film their films and so far I've seen 3 film crews - no stars yet but I'm sure I'll stumble upon a celebrity sometime soon. They were filming the sequel to Twilight a couple of roads from our home and Tron 2 a few roads from my workplace so soon very soon I may become like the paparazzi taking pictures of unsuspecting celebrities and demanding they autograph items of my clothing! OK I'm not that bad, but I'm just warning you in case I tip over the edge and become a celebrity junkie. ;-)

About yve


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.