Existing Member?

yusufmartin's journal

City Attacks Man

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 30 September 2009 | Views [97]

Amidst the calming sanity of the countryside the children’s school holidays hit me like the Dengue fever.  I was knocked feverishly off my feet, soon to be swept off towards Kuala Lumpur, once again to be warded, and herded amongst the vehicular lemmings, desperately seeking their cliff tops to spill over.

My feelings regarding the city (perpetually ambiguous) hung around me like a suspiciously cheap Chow Kit perfume.  Where were all the water buffalo, where were my mining pools, where the hills and my grand open spaces and where was I.

I reconciled myself slowly to the very different delights of city life, gradually settling, knowing the transition to be temporary.  And then, once again, the city began to attack.

I was lunching in Bangsar.  A very fine Indian meal was slipping gently through my gullet and down into parts of my anatomy best left unmentioned, eased by a nicely sweet lassi drink.  I was savouring the complexities of a tasty spiced chicken, and, of course, talking at the same time.

Spiced chicken, as well as having slightly singed spices also has strands of coconut, desiccated by the cooking process.  I have a sinus condition which makes swallowing dry things quite difficult, so I usually mind what I eat, and how I eat unless, that is, I am talking at the time.

An infinitely small particle of dried coconut lodged itself into my throat, and started to irritate.  I tried to resist coughing, turning red in the process.  I swallowed, hoping to clear the object - no luck.  I coughed.  I coughed again.  I coughed and grabbed the sweet lassi, finishing it in one go; then some water, and desperately gesticulated for more lassi which, fortunately, arrived soon.

I downed the lassi in one, like some seasoned beer drinker with his mates down the pub, having an evening off from the wife.  I had finally stopped coughing.  Severely red faced and embarrassed I sheepishly peered around, expecting to see countless faces intent on my predicament.  All were busy with lives of their own, completely unconcerned with a suffocating white man - much relieved I asked for the bill.

Later in the week, having fully recovered from one embarrassment, I was chaperoning three young girls to a mall cinema.  We had attained the second level of the mall, but still had three more levels full of holidaying children and parents to go before we reached the cinema complex.  To save time, and avoid as much hassle as possible, I decided we should take the tourist lift.

One lift came, opened, closed it doors, and, full of squashed faces continued on its journey.  We waited a reasonable while, and then a second lift came and stopped.  I quickly ushered my three wards into the lift, finding just enough space to do so, and all seemed fine.  On pressing the floor number button the lift doors refused to close - the lift refused to budge.

There was something distinctly Peter Sellers about that moment, the moment that I noticed the red flashing sign, which had not been there before.  In a nice warning sort of red the sign flashed, drawing attention to itself and to the legend - “overload”. 

No sooner had I seen the sign, looked guiltily at the girls, than a loud voice felt obliged to read the notice aloud, in English, for all to hear - OVERLOAD.  Thank you I thought, I got the message first time around, and, embarrassed and mumbling, herded the girls from the lift and made our way to the escalator, ready to traverse the next three flights.

 

About yusufmartin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.