Existing Member?

From within

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [107] | Scholarship Entry

It is 3 days since I have arrived and enjoyed the hospitality of my friends in Vienna, everything was close to perfect, to be surrounded by people you are friends with and can enjoy the smallest detail with. Despite the joy of meeting old friends the call to explore the city of Vienna was calling me, coming from a culture like the one of my country Palestine makes Vienna an ambiguous city with its buildings, streets, language and history. I decided to wake up early in the morning take a map and wander in the streets. I walked towards the closest station to start for the furthest point of my friend's house, finding the destination wasn't easy given the fact that I don't speak or read German, all attempts of communication failed, so I decided to take the metro and stop where my heart decides. I walked out of the metro station in a crowded place and followed the smell of food, walking to around led me to an alley that led me to another, old shops, alleys ended led me to a vast square where kids were playing and enjoying the only sunny weekend of 2010 spring. I stood there watching the kids. After a while more walking led me to a street of more old shops, I spotted Arabic font, walked faster to read "Nile cafe"! In Vienna? I decided to have a glass of lemonade. I went in to be surprised with the oriental decoration, chairs and wall pictures that took me to Takeiba street cafe in Tahrir square in Cairo where I used to have Argeila every evening and chat with sweet Egyptians.
lemonade was a bit sower which gave me the needed refreshment after a long walk. there was a mirror hanged in front of me and reflecting the street behind me, I kept watching Vienna inhabitants walking around. I couldn't take off the idea of the beautiful coincidence of finding an Egyptian cafe in the heart of Vienna. I resumed walking and observing the old buildings this time, the spirit and art installed in those buildings and alleys again reminded me of buildings in down town Cairo and lead me to think it is either the same school of architecture or it is the human being sense that connects us when thinking only of producing art and entertain the eye of the beholder.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About yusraj


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.