Existing Member?

Middle Eastern Heaven of Food

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 8 April 2012 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

Heaven A, Tea break!
"ElShaay ya Kahlaaan" shouted my Yemeni host at his son, Kahlan, asking him to bring the tea (or ElShay). I was in Sana'a the capital of Yemen for 3 nights. The weather was pretty moderate.
Finally Kahlan showed up with a tray of two cups of tea, the tea looked nothing as I was expecting, the color of the tea was almost the same as I know but there was two long fresh branches of mint immersed in each cup and three pieces of cardamom in each cup!
I grabbed my cup, closed my eyes and started to sip, yes that must be how heaven tastes and smells like! The mint and the cardamom have done their magic on the normal cup of tea. Yemenis love to drink tea with cardamom for a wonderful taste. Oh and the aroma! I swear I can just scent it for the whole day!

Heaven B, Lunch!
Alshaibani, The famous Restaurant in Yemen, we were two and the food came was enough for a big family. The huge quantities of long-grained basmati rice with many pieces of goat meat buried inside, my host started to eat with his hand, the right one only. inside the rice I found some cardamom, cashew nuts and raisins. I ate until I was full when my host shouted at the waiter " Alma'souuuuuub!!". Almasoub is a dessert made of a pie of banana, flour, eggs, ghee and natural mountain honey. Yemenis believe this dessert is good for male sexuality. Another dessert is the delicious natural honey bowl a long with bananas, you simply dip the banana inside the honey and eat it! What a smart way!
Heaven C, Hallucination!
"No! I will never try that!" I shouted as my host invited me to chew Khat (Catha edulis) with him and folks.
Chewing Khat is a Yemeni cultural tradition and is legal in Yemen. It is done by so many Yemenis. It is simply done by chewing and storing Khat leaves inside one side of the mouth cavity for as long as 6 or 7 hours, by then the euphoric action starts and the chewer starts to live in his own heaven! Don't ask me about its taste! I didn't tried it! it is a narcotic herb!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About yummy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.