Existing Member?

Travelling is a lagoon of ideas and to have an youthfull and open mind while traveling is a must.

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - 30 000 steps and three words in common.

CHINA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

A walk without a goal, an endless journey. The next step was all that mattered, getting a little bit further up the mountain.

When we finally stopped and looked around, it was like we walked on another planet, it looked like Pandora!
Grass and trees covered these majestic steep mountains that surrounded us. It was so beautiful and breathtaking.

Although the steps never seemed to end it boosted our morale. Maybe there was an end, after all?

Most of the tourists had taken buses straight to the top, something we long felt we should have done.
It was us, the steps and the Chinese schoolchildren left.

At first we had no idea what they asked us, but we soon understood that they were wanted to know our home country. After a 30 minute explanation and gesticulation of where Sweden was in the world, and they still didn't understood, we gave up and did the same thing as always, we told them we lived in the country with all the watches and chocolate, the country with almost the same name, Switzerland ... uhm, not really. What you could see was a relief from their part, that was something they knew.
We decided to go with a small Chinese group of high school students.

They explained how many steps we had left, and even thought we only knew two Chinese phrases we understood what they were trying to say

For two days we wandered over mountains, through valleys and past waterfalls.
Eventually, we understood each other. Could express ourselves and have a discussion about something. I still think it’s amazing that we met people with the same opinions as we had, even thought they grew up in a completely different world. A world with a different ways of life, different views of life and perspectives
Despite all this, we were identical, we had the same values, beliefs and goals. It changed my views of looking at people and this is something I have taken to me and trying to get others to see. Unfortunately we have to learn from our own mistakes, you have to try and fail to understand something, even thought someone already told you not to. The goal of travelling is not the rewarding part, its along the way that you learn about life and people.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About youthlagoons


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.