Existing Member?

Experience the local life...

Catching a Moment - LIVING WITH REINDEER

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [174] | Scholarship Entry

The Scottish Highlands can be rugged, tough and wild. It can also be overwhelmingly beautiful and peaceful. The mountains, picturesque lochs and undulating countryside is the perfect setting for the postcard you have been looking for to send home to the family. A lovely gesture, however if you allow yourself to embrace the amazing local spirit and passion that only the Scot's display, you will have your very own picture to share. A very unique experience to take home. Live like a local and experience the life of a highlander. There is no better way to satisfy the travellers thirst than putting yourself amongst the people, and in this particular instance, the wildlife.

Deep in the heart of the Scottish Highlands, 6 miles outside of Aviemore lies a small town called Glenmore. Situated in the breathtaking Glenmore Forest Park you can walk, ride a bicycle or catch a local bus from Aviemore to the Cairngorm Reindeer Herd. On the way you will pass the gorgeous Loch Morlich and see the undeniably beautiful Cairngorm Mountains. Over 150 reindeer call these mountains home. Majestic, placid and the only free range reindeer in all of Britain. There is something special about this place and I haven't even walked up the mountain yet. A rare treat is just around the corner.

People visit from all over the world. We were fortunate enough to be the first Australians to go on a trek with the reindeer herders. Excitement was in the air. We walked up the hill with bags of feed over our shoulders. This would be useful throughout the trek. Two hours in, the reindeer decide it is time for a rest. The reindeer and their imposing antlers lay down amongst the midgies. We take this opportunity to have some hot chocolate and get to know our generous herders. Sharing stories and laughs from Rudolph to our accents. By the end of our trek we had become friends with the locals. The kind-hearted nature of the Highland folk was indeed coming through. We were invited back to spend some time at the house. This was an opportunity that only comes through getting to know the locals.

I decided to stay with the reindeer. The thought of getting to know these wonderful creatures made the decision quite simple. An opportunity that had to be taken. Two days became one week which then became indefinite. The reindeer family offered me my own bed and I was fortunate enough to volunteer my services. I was deep in the heart of Scotland. A reindeer herder. Grateful. I was living with reindeer.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About youngy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.